SP33G Chain Presets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMB74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My online searching isn't bringing up anything.
Anybody have a part number for presets for Husqvarna SP33G chain (.325. .050 Pixel Narrow Kerf)?
I may need to shorten some chains I bought.
I assume these can be purchased from a Husky dealer, does anyone have a better or preferred source?

atpchas found what I was looking for, thank you.
I wasn't looking to buy a whole bag, but this gives me a starting point.

I have never tried reusing the presets. Working in the dealership we always had an endless supply of spares if you messed one up.
Is this a safe and secure option?

atpchas found what I was looking for, thank you.
I wasn't looking to buy a whole bag, but this gives me a starting point.

I have never tried reusing the presets. Working in the dealership we always had an endless supply of spares if you messed one up.
Is this a safe and secure option?
It has been a common solution for decades. Do you have to be careful? Absolutely. Buppt, while working on a firewood crew where we used our chains down to nubs, reusing presets was never a problem. I never heard of anyone having one cut loose. An old dealer I know used to do the same when he ran out of factory presets. Done correctly, it is as safe as using new, IMO.

My one local Husky dealer doesn't handle Husky chain. He will order loops and the repair kit noted above (30 pieces, I was only going to shorten a couple of chains). He carries Oregon chain and has the presets for that.
My local Stihl dealer has the presets for Stihl chain.
I'm not finding SP33G specific presets on Amazon.
Has anyone tried to use the standard Oregon or Stihl presets on SP33G chain? Will they fit and work?
Trying them or reusing the links off the old chain is looking like the best options for me at this time.

Has anyone tried to use the standard Oregon or Stihl presets on SP33G chain? Will they fit and work?
In .325 there are quite a few variations if you add Stihl and Oregon preset tie strap choices together. I have not pressed any sp33g chain apart I bought some of the Stihl sort of equivalent 3690 class in sort of bulk. I bought one loop of the sp33g for amusement. I have modified a bunch of the previous H30 though. In .325 the bushing on Stihl is a bit smaller diameter than the Oregon. Remember the pitch is .325 times two to equal the distance between drive links. the tie straps which are the same length as the cutter is longer than the holes are apart in the drive link. There is no set rule what the ratio is 60/40 51/49 in percent. There is a pretty good chance Oregon preset tiestraps for the 95 class chain will work but those may even change over time 95vp vs 95txl for example. I read about putting a file into the drive link hole and making it a bit bigger in some cases to make a mis match closer to a match though the Stihl has the smaller diameter bushing in this stuff I discuss.

I can say if you buy the Upstart .325 chain with the dimples on the drive link resembling Stihl, they like the Stihl preset tie straps but not the ones for the new 0.050 gauge drive links that are not necked down.

So you are saying the presets for the newer 23RS (previously called Pro) are different than the old .325 presets that used to fit all sizes of .325 (.050, .058, and .063)?
Good to know. I have been out of the dealership (retired) for several years now and out of the loop.
So the answer is other presets will work definitely maybe.

Finally found the loop of Husky sp33g I've been looking for.
20241020_060645.jpg20241020_060901.jpg
20241020_060714.jpg
I broke out 2 butterflies from a used loop of Husky sp33g.
On the driver the hole for the preset is 4.06mm.
The hub or bearing shoulder on the preset I'm using is 4.11mm.
I assembled the two and spun them together. The difference is so minimal that they went together easily and articulate perfectly.
These are the presets I used, from Amazon
20241020_111905.jpg

Back