Speeco 22 ton for $999

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bore_pig

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Vert/Horz 22T 6.5 Briggs

They are on sale this weekend. 90% of what I cut is less than 24" dia. with much of that being less than 20". Lets say a total of 5-6 cords a year. (black locust, oak, maple, and some soft woods)

Two questions:

Will this splitter do me good? (I don't need blazing fast cycle times.)
Will this splitter hold up to being trailered at all? (100 mi a year at most)

Looks like a heck of a good piece for under a grand.

Absolutely, this is my fourth summer on mine, and it has done 7 cord this year so far, Oak, ash, hackle berry and mulberry mostly. I have stop it a few times in these for summers on hickory, oak, and elm crotches. I have had zero problems with it.

Now are you talking about towing it. I ratchet strap mine down in a trailer and drag it anywhere. I would not tow any splitter regularly with a solid axle welded to the tank.

I believe I also paid $999 in 2005

here a picture of mine

I read in a post that the tank will crack where the spindles are welded on. Is that common? Once a year or so I would want to bring it to my parents to use for an afternoon. If I had to trailer it, no big deal.

I wouldn't tow it on the road, off road around the wood lot is fine, but not the open road. I've had my 22T for almost two years now. I've split about a 100 cord with it so far and it works like it did the day i bought it. Fore the money it's hard to beat.:cheers:

I think you will like the splitter, I only cut soft wood that's all that we have here but I can do 20'' rounds, of wet sticky sappy spruce with my little 15 ton Splitter it does slow down on the bigger knotted pieces. My only complaint is it is low to the ground so I just park it on some car ramps. Just like saw's you don't need to have the biggest, baddest, Splitter to get the job done.It sure saves some aches and pains from swinging a maul for a hour or two.

I can't speak for the Speeco 22 ton, but I purchased a NorthStar 22 ton w/Honda engine a couple of years ago from Northern Tool and couldn't be more happy.

And, I would swear that the Honda 5hp engine has just as much hp as a Briggs 8hp. I was very surprised to see that little engine even had a fuel pump on it! Very well made and super quiet. My neighbors can't even hear when I'm running it. Starts in two pulls. I usually just run it at half throttle or just below and it will run for a day and a half on one tank.

The 22 ton has plowed through everything that I have handed it. My last two chords were all 3-4 feet in diameter and was grateful that it was horiz/vert!

Debatable, but I would only consider going higher tonnage if was going to use a four way wedge.

I read in a post that the tank will crack where the spindles are welded on. Is that common? Once a year or so I would want to bring it to my parents to use for an afternoon. If I had to trailer it, no big deal.
Mine has done the job for me but it don,t leave the farm. trailer it.

Bore pig, I just got mine 3 weeks ago and like it so far. I don't plan on towing it any where though. The price and size is what sold me when I compared it to the MTD at Home Depot. It just looked better made.

I don't want to high jack your thread, but Flewism is that log catcher on yours home made or did you buy it some place?? I'm looking to make or buy one of my own.

I just got mine on the TS sale. It has done about five+ cords of various wood. It has performed flawlessly and appears to be a good unit.

Bore pig, I just got mine 3 weeks ago and like it so far. I don't plan on towing it any where though. The price and size is what sold me when I compared it to the MTD at Home Depot. It just looked better made.

I don't want to high jack your thread, but Flewism is that log catcher on yours home made or did you buy it some place?? I'm looking to make or buy one of my own.

There is a seller on Ebay by the name of "33flame" that sells them for about $70. A few members have bought them and liked them.
I'm not sure if it is ok to link to EBay, if not I apologize to mods and please remove.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24x-CRADLE-FIRE...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Bought it today. Could have saved another 10% if I signed up for a Fleet Card. Didn't though. I close on our refi of the house in a month. Don't want to do anything that could jeopardize that. Hopefully will be able to try it tomorrow! Thanks for the input!

There is a seller on Ebay by the name of "33flame" that sells them for about $70. A few members have bought them and liked them.
I'm not sure if it is ok to link to EBay, if not I apologize to mods and please remove.
smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/24x-CRADLE-FIRE...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Seems like he sells them at a good price. Will need to let my friend know as he was looking for one as well.

Boilerhouse That is home made, really simple if you have any welding experiences. If you want more info on it let me know

Could you post some more pics of your table. Looks real nice. I have plenty of material to build something similar. Dimensions too?

I'm really looking forward to using this thing. My dad's neck problems came back recently and he's been having a hard time splitting with the maul. That's part of why I purchased it. I can split my wood by hand and still spend time with my family, but there's too would be too much. Tomorrow I will fire it up!:clap:

Yes I'll get you taken care of. I just got in and sat down to a meal and the computer. Tomorrow after work I'll get some good pictures. It is really pretty simple and now that I've had it off and on 8 to 10 times there is room for improvement.

Pictures of table, it is 22.5 " by 20.5" , I broke .100" sheet stock into 1.5" 90 degree angles and welded the box, 1.5" angle iron would work better. Then added the expanded metal for the table. Then inverted a piece of 90 degree .100 stock for the mount surface on the beam and the 2 pieces of uni-strut braces that go under the table and the beam "C" channel, or angle iron will work just as well. Welding the nuts to the end of the uni-strut allows you to add a bolt and tighten for a nice snug fit. I originally bolted to to the beam where the pins now are, but with the pins it is off and on the splitter in 20 seconds to go vertical or back to horizontal .
I just used what I had available to me at that time.

Flewism, thanks for the pics and info. I'm going to make one using some of your ideas. Like I said before nice job, very professional looking.

Carl

Where were the 22 tonners on sale? I'm in the market for one. Was it the TSC Huskees or a Speeco SplitMaster? The Huskee is $1099 at TSC. Thanx and please post again if anybody see them on sale again. Thanx much!

Back