Spend my money! Help me pick a spare parts kit for a Stihl 461.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest Becker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Please help me go shopping. Spend my money - not yours. I already have a Stihl MS 461 that I use for processing firewood. Falling, limbing, bucking of mostly hardwoods and some softwoods. About 20 cords annually.

What spare parts would you assemble if you were going to relocate to a remote place and would not have access to spares for a 5-7 years? Please be as specific as possible (brand, size, dimension, quantity, special tools, grease, etc).

For example:
a. spool of saw chain 100' (3/8" 050 Stihl rapid full skip)
b. 28" bar
c. Stihl multi tool (chain breaker, rivet spinner)
d. Stihl HD2 air filter (2x), Wire mesh filter (1x)
e. fuel filter (2x)
f. spark plug (6x)
g. sprocket, washer, e-clip, needle bearing
h. bar nuts (4x)
i. chain tensioner, clutch spring
j. chain-brake spring
k. clutch drum
l. assorted nuts/bolts for saw​

Many thanks in advance fellas!

You need several e-clips, 3 - 4 sprockets, 1 extra air filter, 1 fuel filter, no extra spark plug, several bar nuts, i, j, k, not necessary, abc, yes

Thank you for the rapid, thought out, and funny replies.

I'd be lying if I said that I've ever used a Husky. What do you like about them over the Stihl?

It depends on the model. Both manufacturers make good saws and in the various displacement categories one may have an advantage over the other. One thing about Husky is that you can order parts on-line. Try that with Stihl.

I would take an identical saw. That would give you one of every spare part. The scenario you described is unrealistic. If you don't have access to spares, you also don't have access to fuel and mix oil. So bring a second saw and if something breaks, order that part to be delivered with your next grocery order.

Latest posts

Back