Spend my money! Help me pick a spare parts kit for a Stihl 461.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 cords a year...5 to 7 years... nothing is going to break on that saw unless you do something stupid or it has a flaw from the factory. I have a saw on my bench that has cut 300 cords and it didn't get anything other that a new fuel and air filter. It is still actually running the original sprocket.

Fearofpavement has the best solution. A spare identical saw protects you from major issues like a seizure or crank problems. When I cut for a living in remote areas I never carried spare parts, but I did bring an identical saw.

Other than that, 3 chains should last you. Bring files. Your biggest issue is fresh fuel.

20 cords a year...5 to 7 years... nothing is going to break on that saw unless you do something stupid or it has a flaw from the factory. I have a saw on my bench that has cut 300 cords and it didn't get anything other that a new fuel and air filter. It is still actually running the original sprocket. Fearofpavement has the best solution. A spare identical saw protects you from major issues like a seizure or crank problems. When I cut for a living in remote areas I never carried spare parts, but I did bring an identical saw. Other than that, 3 chains should last you. Bring files. Your biggest issue is fresh fuel.

Many thanks. Well put. My sister lives in Homer. I always appreciate the opinions of folks that live in AK.

I have used Stabil in 93 octane to get a year out of stored fuel. Never had any problem. Is there a way to get an even longer shelf life?

I used some Pri-G in a farm bulk tank once, (non ethanol and dang IIRC it started as 87 octane) was still burning in the vehicles/mowers etc when it ran out four years later. The company doesn't guarantee it that long, but that was my experience.

The other option is avgas.

Chain tentioner. Mine actually broke last weekend at a gtg. Blamed it on the port job causing to much power. Good thing the guy hosting the gtg runs a stihl shop. Had the parts on and and 10 minutes later it was cutting wood again

Where are you so remote that UPS/FEDEX/USPS can't deliver the parts you "may" need within a couple of days if necessary? Otherwise rim sprocket, bars/chains, air filter and I would think you would be fine for a very long time.

Don't forget your little orange screwdriver and scrench.

Where are you so remote that UPS/FEDEX/USPS can't deliver the parts you "may" need within a couple of days if necessary? Otherwise rim sprocket, bars/chains, air filter and I would think you would be fine for a very long time.

Don't forget your little orange screwdriver and scrench.
Dude, there is a whole world out there (even in the US) that the mail doesn't get within 50 miles of. I have customers that order parts from me that have to be flown in by bush plane. We've even had parts air dropped because the lake ice wasn't thick enough to land on.

Latest posts

Back