Stihl 015av won’t start and floods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it needs to go down? Up? Thx. Tom
The HDC Walbro manual says to set it parallel to carb walls? Also when I replaced the metering lever I thought the spring was really weak. Maybe the prior owner used the wrong spring? The HDC kit I ordered didn’t have a spring. Can I use a different Walbro spring? Thx. Tom

Attachments

• 7771D6B8-6E31-4309-B3AD-FC5385D4051E.jpeg
    7771D6B8-6E31-4309-B3AD-FC5385D4051E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
The levers I remember were "forked", and the diaphram "button" had a notch that was held with the fork.
So, all pertinent info is likely needed to help you.
Why did you feel the need to replace the metering lever?
Can you put up a pic of the "old" parts?

Show the underside of the diaphram
The levers I remember were "forked", and the diaphram "button" had a notch that was held with the fork.
So, all pertinent info is likely needed to help you.
Why did you feel the need to replace the metering lever?
Can you put up a pic of the "old" parts?
the fork on the lever was broken when I got the saw. Here is the old lever. I took a pic before I threw it out.

And here is the new one I got from eBay.

I compared them and they were identical in all respects except the new one didn’t have a formed tube where the pin threads into the lever. Like the one in this diagram from Walbro HDC.

Attachments

• 95AD7C6A-1DC3-49B4-98B0-13C0B573AC76.jpeg
    95AD7C6A-1DC3-49B4-98B0-13C0B573AC76.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 21
  • D1CD451E-1C9C-48E2-BDA9-327DDB71A194.jpeg
    D1CD451E-1C9C-48E2-BDA9-327DDB71A194.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 50F71479-0EF7-4C62-A840-32CCD75E95FC.jpeg
    50F71479-0EF7-4C62-A840-32CCD75E95FC.jpeg
    595.4 KB · Views: 20
Here’s the front and back of new diaphragm. It’s identical to old one.

Attachments

• C57510E2-5FB2-46F2-92EC-1C38283AE457.jpeg
    C57510E2-5FB2-46F2-92EC-1C38283AE457.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 4C41C4FA-2B78-421D-A0AF-23DA03DD46FD.jpeg
    4C41C4FA-2B78-421D-A0AF-23DA03DD46FD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Not sure what notch you are talking about. Here’s the original next to new one. Can’t find broken fork but it was identical.

And the side with the nipple.

Attachments

• 7FCA9A62-42EE-445B-B108-A941B7A86CC8.jpeg
    7FCA9A62-42EE-445B-B108-A941B7A86CC8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Cool. The manual also mentions hooking the diaphragm into the lever. I dug through the trash and the old diaphragm doesn’t have the hook.

Would a weak spring prevent needle from sitting and cause flooding? The original needle feels like it is really soft and springy. Not like newer springs. It’s also a bronze copper kind of color?

Yes the wrong spring can be a problem as well. But visually looking at your setup, the lever looks too high.
I just bought a used carb and I’m going to try scavenging the circuit plate with the lever meter and spring. I’m concerned the lever meter I bought on eBay isn’t the correct one. Also given the lever meter was already broken when I took it apart I’m wondering if the parts of the carb that came with the saw are correct. Thx. Tom

I have to agree with Harley . That pic of the metering lever doesn't look quite right . The lever itself looks too high , the fork on the inlet needle doesn't look like it is holding that needle down enough. If fuel is leaking out of the carb most likely the needle is the culprit . A speck of crud on the needle seat in the carb body or the needle tip itself is more than enough to keep that inlet needle from seating properly

I recently sold 3 of those 015's , one just exactly like the one the OP has with the rear handle. I am glad I sold them as non running saws , those HDC carbs were never my favorite to work on.

I have to agree with Harley . That pic of the metering lever doesn't look quite right . The lever itself looks too high , the fork on the inlet needle doesn't look like it is holding that needle down enough. If fuel is leaking out of the carb most likely the needle is the culprit . A speck of crud on the needle seat in the carb body or the needle tip itself is more than enough to keep that inlet needle from seating properly

I recently sold 3 of those 015's , one just exactly like the one the OP has with the rear handle. I am glad I sold them as non running saws , those HDC carbs were never my favorite to work on.
And, the sad thing is that I believe new replacement carbs are no longer out there. Mine starts and runs, but not like it should. No adjustments seem to help it, so now it's a shelf queen.

I'm waiting for a supposedly good carb. eBay purchase. If this doesn't work, I'm done spending money. I tried to put 5 psi pressure but wouldn't hold. Submerged it leaked from the inlet. It's not sealing. Either needle isn't seating or the seat assembly is shot. I will try bending down the metering lever as well. It's not a cool little saw anymore. It's an imp. It would pick my pocket if it could. I've set my limit atb$50 so if I get it to run I can say I only spent $50 to get my $30 saw running. ;)

Thanks everyone for helping. Tom

Tom, you did accomplish one major thing, You motivated me to get my 015T running the way it should. Mine is the top handle version that runs both 043 and 050 gauge chain. I have bars and chain for either gauge. One of my friends has one that operates flawlessly.

I will look for a new carb because I think that is the only thing wrong with mine. I hate to sell it as a non-runner. This is a classic old saw, but when they run right, they are surprisingly powerful and worth owning.

Cheers!

Back