Stihl 036 QS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Grice

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Gentelman,

I work with a guy who does some tree work on the side and he has enlisted me to help rebuild a few of his saws, he has piles and piles of the same few model saws and just needs someone with the time and patience to assemble them.

That being said an oddball that he wanted me to take a look at was a Stihl 036 QS. I haven't torn into it other than pull the chain brake cover. He claims to be missing some part that allows the automatic brake to disengage. I ask is there any way of just overriding this system and having the chain brake function like normal? In pulling the brake cover the inner workings appear to be pretty similar to a standard chain break (atleast according to a standard 036 IPL) other than the rod that comes from the tank/handle assy to actuate the auto brake.

Before I go trial and error method does anyone know if this can simply be disengaged by just unhooking and possibly cutting that actuator rod that operates the automatic brake feature?

Thanks,

Unhook everything and it will function normally.i have a ms360c that has everything unhooked.

Ok another dumb question about this thing. From what I can see the brake cable that runs from the handle to whatever it is beneath the clutch that activates that break has been disconnected. I opened up the handle and it was just hanging in there and not connected to anything. So someone has already attempted to deactivate this thing is my guess.

It also didn't have the break band in it and the break handle just rocks back and forth no lock or unlock. I haven't examined a break from a normal saw really so does the band have to be installed for it to "click" into the locked position and then to unlock again. (clearly without the band you wont actually stop anything but I just assume that it would still lock in one position or the other. It doesn't seem that the band adds enough tension to the system to to actually cause it to lock into one position or the other?

Final question is does anyone have an IPL specific to the 036 QS model. Or can someone confirm that the break band is the same on a standard 036 and the 036 QS.

The brake band on the 036 and 036QS are different.

036 brake band: 1125 160 5400
036QS brake band: 1125 160 5451
036QS brake band: 1125 160 5450 (Version for previous models, up to serial number 141703419)

Hook the presence lever cable back up and see if it works. I had one, and can't remember for sure, but it isn't a matter of taking parts off and it working as a non qs model, because the secondary essentially holds the brake open under operation.

If it was mine I would get it working, and sell/trade it for a standard 036... Or get the brake working and fasten the rear brake handle open (not sure but iirc, the primary will still function, but the rear handle may still be necessary to reset it.) Some guys don't mind the secondary brake, but I despised it.

Found this one online to show back handle.

stihl036qs.JPG

Thanks for all the input guys.. im going to see about a quiting the correct band and see if I can't get it working. The gentleman who owns the saw I think hated the secondary handle. He either took it apart and lost some piece.. the saw still runs otherwise so ideally I was trying to get the primary break to work without having the secondary work. If this is a possibility then that's the cheapest route. It's a good clean saw. If 9t is not a possibility then I agree. Fixing it properly and trading for a standard 036 will be best.

Are these qs models sought after by collectors or whatever?

If anyone has this break band or a parts saw let me know..

Also if anyone has the 036 qs ipl they are willing to share please pm me.

Sorry bout all the typos i should have read before posting. I'm not illiterate but I am sitting in a tree stand. That's a good excuse right??

Opening day of rifle season in SC whoot whoot!!

i'm not sure if the 036 qs is the same as the ms360c but that brake band is the most expensive part.seems to me it was $90+.i'll have to look back through mine and definative daves conversations for one for my 360c.

Gosh 90 dollars is nuts.. it's not even worth fixing for that... jug coil carb covers and all are squared away.. gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see what I'm looking at for a band then adv8se the owner so he can make decisions based on that.

Thanks again everyone for your help.. I'm still on the hunt for an IPL if anyone has one.

Do a google search for stihl 036 qs ipl.look down the list for "Online version - not for reprint - Reinsmith.Net" it'll be a pdf file and you can find the part numbers to write down.;)
Only way to get by the QS brake set up is to go with a non QS clutch side half.the spring and cover are only used on the QS models.

arbtalk.co.uk/.../41257d1278405878-stihl-036-problem-kill-tab-flat-spring...
Look on the same page for this link for the QS ipl.the other post is just a shop manual.

Yes I saw that one. Its a full service manual. Very helpful for sure. It has some great instructions on setting the tension on that break release cable. It may has the part #s I need in it for sure, just havn't had time to read the whole section on the break. But still doesn't have the parts diagrams.

Latest posts

Back