Stihl 036 Rim sprockets size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's not fair to tell a guy over the hill that he's slipping...:biggrinbounce2:

Ah, That's OK........I really don't think anyone else knew
or I think they would have spoke up (I didn't, but wanted to know)

Now, if Stihl uses two size.....What are they called?

Mini & Standard?

Small & Standard?

Small & large? and so on.

Or is it hey.......I need a .375 8T rim for my 066.

:sucks: But I want to know :hmm3grin2orange:

They are called "part numbers... How many do you want?

325 for an 066. sorry... you 'll need to use an off-brand.

Re-read post, it's .375
I think you'r slipping a little to old boy :cheers:

But you can get OEM .325 9T for 066,

Last edited:
When I go to my regular dealer I just tell him I need a 3/8 7 tooth for my 036 (circa 1993-1994).

"you running small or large?"
"small"
"o.k., here you go"

As far as the glasses, there are about 5 pairs of those Wally World reading glasses at the place I work for the guys that are too stubborn to go to the eye doc because they have reached the late 40s-early 50s range.

It's hilarious watching everybody look for their glasses when it's time to read something (because they can't find their glasses without their glasses on).

I don't laugh too loud because I haven't been able to see worth a darn since about age 8. Seriously considering the laser.

There are only two sizes... your list is not totally correct though... the 034/36 can use either the smaller or larger version depending on the clutch drum in use.
I know I've had a few 029/ms290's running the small/mini spline. I guess in all reality they can all run the large or small dependant on which clutch drum they use since the 029/034/036/039/MS290/MS310/MS360/MS390 all use the same clutch drum right?

I know I've had a few 029/ms290's running the small/mini spline. I guess in all reality they can all run the large or small dependant on which clutch drum they use since the 029/034/036/039/MS290/MS310/MS360/MS390 all use the same clutch drum right?

I think the 034/036 is the only ones that can run both, using
the two different drums and bearings. When the change was
done on the 036 the clutch carrier (or something in the clutch was changed)
So I don't know if you can put a small spline drum on a newer 036
saw........I would like to know if a small spline drum w/bearing will work on
a MS361 so I could run Picco BC for milling small logs.

I guess I'm not totally positive. We'll have to wait for master andy lol. Yeah the term mini and small spline seems to get used interchangeably. When your talking to a stihl dealer there are only two choices the small and large, but if your looking for like aftermarket rims....they are referred to as stihl mini spline because they are indeed smaller than your regular standard small spline. Not sure if that makes any sense lol.

I think the 034/036 is the only ones that can run both, using
the two different drums and bearings. When the change was
done on the 036 the clutch carrier (or something in the clutch was changed)
So I don't know if you can put a small spline drum on a newer 036
saw........I would like to know if a small spline drum w/bearing will work on
a MS361 so I could run Picco BC for milling small logs.

The crank and clutch carrier didn't change - just the bearing and clutch drum. Sure you can put the small bearing and drum on a later 036/360 but you'd have to be nutz, or trying to dump one on ebay.

oh.. you think you have a real reason.. sorry.. first problem is finding a decent old drum... They are no longer made.

Last edited:
Yes early ones used small aka mini spline rims same as the 26. The later ones used large spline rims same as 44, 46, 66, etc. If you have a large spline and you want to run .325 I believe 9t is the smallest # you can get in a large spline.

I believe that is correct! :clap:

attachment.php

Gary this might help ....................

Last edited:
I guess I'm not totally positive. We'll have to wait for master andy lol. Yeah the term mini and small spline seems to get used interchangeably. When your talking to a stihl dealer there are only two choices the small and large, but if your looking for like aftermarket rims....they are referred to as stihl mini spline because they are indeed smaller than your regular standard small spline. Not sure if that makes any sense lol.

Yep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
oh.. you think you have a real reason.. sorry.. first problem is finding a decent old drum... They are no longer made.
I would like to know if a small spline drum w/bearing will work on
a MS361?
so I could run Picco BC for milling small logs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary this might help ....................

Yep

Yes early ones used small aka mini spline rims same as the 26. The later ones used large spline rims same as 44, 46, 66, etc. If you have a large spline and you want to run .325 I believe 9t is the smallest # you can get in a large spline.

Sorry to dredge up something so old. I'm needing some new rims for my 360. When I ordered the kit for my 241,one of the extra rims I bought was too big for the 241 splines, but too small for the 360's drum splines. Do I actually order "large" spline if getting one from ebay? Is there a list of internal measurments so I can double check?

I have an old 18" 325 bar, and I have a stand of black pines to put on the ground. So I figured I'd use the old bar and keep the mess off my new bars.

Will it actually pull a 9 pin with an 18" bar?

Latest posts

Back