Stihl 038 av super 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One is for sale near me, and I have no idea what it is, is it basically a magnum or what?

Its a wee bit better than the stock 038AV (48mm) and a wee bit less than the 038 Magnum (52mm) - kind of slips in between the two at 50mm.

So it’s just a 038 av super rebadged super 2? Stihl did this kinda often to fool customers.

From what little I know about them- mid to late 1980's the Super 2 and Super pro showed up for a short while before the 038 Magnum hit the shelves- so this one is the last of the Supers so to speak.
I do not remember them having 52mm tops on them- but doubt that very much as the Magnum case is wider in the bolt spacings to accommodate the 52mm bore- the Super shares the same bolt spacing as the AV for the 50 and 48mm cylinders.

Thats about as much as I know, but the Super 2 may have come with stock dual port muffler, changed carb. or something like that from the factory and they called it the 2 to define that feature from a standard Super.

Well- in displacement- yes.
In use- I will take the Orange versions any day! :p
As much as I hate to admit it I’d do the same. Think the husky’s are a little lighter and for sure easier to work on. 028 and 038 are diehard saws though, and I do have a bit of a soft spot for the 038 mags.

Dual outlet muffler as I remember.

I have a number of 038S. Never original owner but some are single port, some dual port.

The duals were not off 038M swaps. The muffler ex inlet is narrower on the 038S casings than the 038M casings. That is the 038M cyl ex port is wider, both cyl and muffler casing.

On 038S---->038M conversions I ground the 038S casing to match the 038M cylinders.

I have a number of 038S. Never original owner but some are single port, some dual port.

The duals were not off 038M swaps. The muffler ex inlet is narrower on the 038S casings than the 038M casings. That is the 038M cyl ex port is wider, both cyl and muffler casing.

On 038S---->038M conversions I ground the 038S casing to match the 038M cylinders.
Back then you could probably walk into a Stihl shop and buy a muffler for an 038 or 038S and they handed you a dual port one- then it got old, was replaced and sold to you.

Back then you could probably walk into a Stihl shop and buy a muffler for an 038 or 038S and they handed you a dual port one- then it got old, was replaced and sold to you.

I think the 038M dual port casings replaced the 038S replacement ones as they would fit both, and not restrict either saw.

If you opened up the inner baffle, then the screens were large enough on the dual ports to enlarge the outlets considerably and still retain the screens, with a good increase in performance.

Have not acquired any of the triple port covers. I got all my 038 saws for free, carcasses, and fixed/rebuilt others.

Guy wants $400 for it but since it’s not better than mag or mag 2 which I have both. No need for me to buy more 038.
I absolutely wouldn’t pay $400 for that saw that’s ridiculous. If you’re gonna buy a 038 it’s mag or nothing. That’s my opinion anyway. They all weigh the same so you might as well get the big boy. All magnum versions of the 038 are 72cc. Mag II is early west german manufacture. Later was just magnum Brazil made. Could be some crossover but I’ve never seen a Brazil made mag II.

I absolutely wouldn’t pay $400 for that saw that’s ridiculous. If you’re gonna buy a 038 it’s mag or nothing. That’s my opinion anyway. They all weigh the same so you might as well get the big boy. All magnum versions of the 038 are 72cc. Mag II is early west german manufacture. Later was just magnum Brazil made. Could be some crossover but I’ve never seen a Brazil made mag II.
I’ve seen Brazilian mag 2 red lever most likely. But yeah mag or mag 2 simple as that. There is no difference between mag and early German mag 2. I have them both.

I’ve seen Brazilian mag 2 red lever most likely. But yeah mag or mag 2 simple as that. There is no difference between mag and early German mag 2. I have them both.
Interesting. I have two 038 mags one red lever and one black both Brazil made. Both serial numbers begin with three. Black lever is 1995 and red is 1992 or 1993 can’t remember but I can look it up. First number of serial will tell the tale not what’s on the top cover or recoil. These saws have been around for a while so parts could have been swapped. Would you mind posting some pictures? You got me curious now…

The mag red lever you have must be 93. Most common year for red lever, some say it’s because of new OSHA compliance. I have video of them dancing, here they’re, both series number started with 1, 1984 and 1986 to be exact.

Attachments

• IMG_1279.mov
    14.2 MB
The mag red lever you have must be 93. Most common year for red lever, some say it’s because of new OSHA compliance. I have video of them dancing, here they’re, both series number started with 1, 1984 and 1986 to be exact.
Yes it is 1993. And that makes me wonder (as I mentioned previously) if there was some crossover in that year of production of German and Brazil made 038 mags with red master control lever. I know the red lever only lasted a few years across the Stihl line of saws around that time.

Latest posts

Back