Stihl 042 AVE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstan101

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good evening, I have assembled a 042AV Electronic Quip stop and am down to the trigger switch and coil. Fore the life of me I cannot get the right combination of wiring to get it to pop.
Both coil and switch are new but my issue is how to wire everything together. The switch has a tiny stiff wire coming out of the back with a brass lug on front for an eyelet and screw.
I haven't a clue which wires go to the coil and which goes to ground. I am assuming the wire from the switch back goes to coil.
Does anyone have a pic or description of how to complete wiring?20240726_133021.jpg20240724_142202.jpg20240726_132929.jpg

The single wire on that trigger should be parallel with the coil wire to the switch. The coil has it's own grounding wire and the trigger looks internally grounded. The aftermarket modules have 2 wires, one grounded and the other to the switch. In some cases, you have to swap them. That isn't an option here.

I found the newer coils do not require spark modules and will not work connected to them

That may be, but a lot of electronic Stihls of this era had separate triggers. Basically, points coils with electronic modules. (Not the 031, 032, 045 and 056s, though.) Have to research exactly what coil was bought and compare to original application.

That may be, but a lot of electronic Stihls of this era had separate triggers. Basically, points coils with electronic modules. (Not the 031, 032, 045 and 056s, though.) Have to research exactly what coil was bought and compare to original application.
yes the original coils used triggers, his is newer aftermarket

Latest posts

Back