Stihl 044 Advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy Red

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
Was hoping to get advice from more experienced members on my new to me 044, it was made in 2000 with serial no: x 149459676 so it's a 12mm version, the crank looks like it got very hot and from what it was used for i can see why, so i have purchased a used Stihl crankshaft that was listed as a 044/ms440 crankshaft and is 12mm, a picture of it is below and i was wondering what the numbers on it mean and have i purchased the right one? as i have seen a few used 044 cranks all with different numbers.

Second is that I never noticed before but the case halves really don't seem to match up, or is that meant to be like that? Before I found this forum I had asked about the blueing on the crank and it started off a bit of an argument on if that was factory blueing or not but the new used crank was a good price so I have decided to change it and the bearings regardless as this saw will be my main saw so i wanted it spot on.

Thanks for any advice given
View attachment 1185869View attachment 1185869Screenshot (1).png

The first thing I do before taking anything apart is clean it very well. You don't want any of that dirt in the case and its easy to knock some small chunks in. The cases don't have to line up perfectly as long as there is clearance for the cylinder skirt to drop down. Purple power form walmart is a good degreaser or simple green. Take a file and rub it gently where the conrod is blue and if it skates off it is still good and hard. If you have up and down play in the bearing then that is bad, it floats side to side a little, that is normal.

Thanks Dave, In the process of cleaning it all now, I have a cover for the opening so i can clean around it, I removed it to take a photo. Good to know about the crankcase not lining up.

What I would really like is opinions on the crankshaft I have just purchased, Would like to know what the numbers mean and if it is like the seller says a 044 crankshaft.

Cheers

Thanks Dave, In the process of cleaning it all now, I have a cover for the opening so i can clean around it, I removed it to take a photo. Good to know about the crankcase not lining up.

What I would really like is opinions on the crankshaft I have just purchased, Would like to know what the numbers mean and if it is like the seller says a 044 crankshaft.

Cheers
What's the number?

Oh I have just noticed the 2nd picture did not upload, Stihl 1128 05 XJ is what is written on the crank

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
Yeah the crankshaft is okay. We debated about this issue in my 044 thread, it won’t be a problem. My saw runs well now, pulls super strong.

Case halves are commonly like that, as long as it is vacuum sealed it is fine. That crank also looks fine. The 044/440 saws are strong and not over-engineered with smog crap. They can last virtually forever. Put a CDN 046 muffler on it and re-tune the carb fatter. Its a perfect fit and requires no mods other than the carb re-tune. It will purr... and increase the power w/o stressing the saw. Actually it will breathe better that way.

Case halves are commonly like that, as long as it is vacuum sealed it is fine. That crank also looks fine. The 044/440 saws are strong and not over-engineered with smog crap. They can last virtually forever. Put a CDN 046 muffler on it and re-tune the carb fatter. Its a perfect fit and requires no mods other than the carb re-tune. It will purr... and increase the power w/o stressing the saw. Actually it will breathe better that way.
Will keep in mind about the muffler as the one on the saw seems over engineered to me, as for the crank, I am in the process of swapping it as there is a fair bit of play on the conrod bearing, the one I have purchased is spot on so just waiting for the case splitter to arrive.

Latest posts

Back