Stihl 044 what did i do wrong? EDIT: I think It's Fixed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy Red

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after crank, bearings, seals, piston ring replacement I put the saw back together and all seemed ok, started right up but could not get idle total runtime is about 45 minutes, no wood cut just idle and a few wot.

Wanted to check everything was ok so pulled off muffler and noticed the start of a bit of wear on the cylinder, pulled it and noticed the crank is getting stuck on as best I can describe it a notch, at about 11 o clock the crank tightens right up and then releases, the crank was smooth as silk when bolted together but admit to messing with it by tapping each side after installing seals and worrying it was to tight, It was smooth before putting the cylinder on so not sure why it has done this.

The crank was a used genuine Stihl but was in good condition, I'm going to have to split the case again but wanted to ask you guys on what could of happened.

EDIT: Video on page 5

You will have to pressure test it before anything else to rule out any air leaks etc

The carb settings too?
Carb is the Walbro 15B, put a genuine kit on it as well, 1 turn out on both H/L, it would sit at 3000rpm, It would run like that a few minutes then rise to 3800rpm and then back down again and nearly stall, tried changing it on the low and idle screw but would only hold that setting for a short while. A lot of black fuel mix was coming out of the muffler as well, it was very wet inside the muffler the cylinder and piston.

Carb is the Walbro 15B, put a genuine kit on it as well, 1 turn out on both H/L, it would sit at 3000rpm, It would run like that a few minutes then rise to 3800rpm and then back down again and nearly stall, tried changing it on the low and idle screw but would only hold that setting for a short while. A lot of black fuel mix was coming out of the muffler as well, it was very wet inside the muffler the cylinder and piston. most likely carb problem. Pressure and vac test the saw. IDK, maybe replace the carb if the saw passes. You could try to pressure test the carb at the fuel elbow before you replace.

Carb is the Walbro 15B, put a genuine kit on it as well, 1 turn out on both H/L, it would sit at 3000rpm, It would run like that a few minutes then rise to 3800rpm and then back down again and nearly stall, tried changing it on the low and idle screw but would only hold that setting for a short while. A lot of black fuel mix was coming out of the muffler as well, it was very wet inside the muffler the cylinder and piston.
Check the fuel delivery side of things, if something is restricting fuel (bad filter, damaged line, blocked impulse, tank vent, etc) you may be rich initially & then running out of fuel.
Can't speak to any wear you might be seeing... as said above, we need pic's

Latest posts

Back