Stihl 045AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babaoriley

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this thing few days ago. It’s hard to start. I got it started for a little bit then it bogged down. So I thought might be a good idea to clean the carb. So I did it and now it doesn’t start. I looked around for the same thread and I’ve checked everything; fuel, spark, exhaust are all good. But the I see the piston a bit scored. I don’t have compression tool, but I don’t think it’s that bad. So if the piston is not that bad then what could be the problem here? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Check the flywheel key. If it's damaged, your ignition timing will be off. O
Flywheel has been untouched for years from the look of it. However the pull cord broke and it looks newer and aftermarket. I replaced it with an old pull cord from a 031. I put things back the way they were and cleaned the flywheel and starter with brake cleaner. It has plenty of sparks, but I’m not sure if I messed up something in the process or not. Btw I don’t think compression is the issue. When I pull, it fights back very hard, the strongest compression I feel out of all of my saws.

Back