Stihl 07-S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etwintje

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm Edwin, a 15 years old boy from the Netherlands. I've been working on a Stihl 07-S and I made it running again. Great machine! It only smokes much and my question is, what kind of premixed fuel do I need, I mean something like 1:50, 1:25 or so. Atm I run 1:25.
I know I shouldn't ask it here, but is there any manual about it? Or could someone tell me something more about it, the things I know is that it's a 75cc 1960's saw.

Thank you very much!

Edwin

I'd go 40:1 with a full synthetic oil. Welcome to the forum. BTW, I have two 07S saws. One is a shelf queen, the other a nice runner. They're quite surprising for their age, a real popular piece at GTGs.

Thanks for your reaction! Good to see there are more peoples with these saws:) I will try 1:40! I'm sorry, but what do you mean with gtg?

Edwin

I also have two 07-S, and one in pieces.

Parts are quite scarce - if you need a new piston for example, it will be difficult.

They are heavy and noisy and vibrate a lot. I hope you're a strong 15 year old! Be careful using it - it is easy to get tired with such a heavy saw, and when you are tired, it is the time you make mistakes....

Mix - I use 40:1 with the Stihl 2 stroke oil. That makes it smoke less. 25:1 won't do any harm, but the smoke will be thicker. If it still smokes on 40:1, check the tuning - there are loads of tuning threads here.

Manual? Do you mean the user or service manual? I think I have a parts list somewhere, don't recall a manual.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply! I don't need spare parts atm, so that won't be a really big problem! About my age, I won't use it myself, it will be mostly my dad using it:) Maybe I will use it when I'm a bit older, I indeed felt it was quite heavy! haha. I don't want really thick smoke here, because of the neighbours:censored:. I will make 40:1, is it a problem if I use semi-synthetic instead of full-synthetic? Well if there is some kind of manual it would be nice, doesn't really matter what kind off:greenchainsaw: I also have a little question about the saw. On pictures on the internet I see there are some kind of teeth on the front of the saw, I don't really know how to say it in English:cry: I hope you understand it. I think it holds your saw in the wood or so. Is that thing really needed? Cause I don't have it, although I can try to make one. If you still don't know what I mean, it's a peace of metal on both sides of the guide bar.

Edwin

Here's my GTG demo 07S.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5Go1QzqQb0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5Go1QzqQb0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's my shelf queen when it wasn't quite finished.

270595739_QygRK-M-1.jpg

270595583_4243u-M-1.jpg

270999586_nAhQk-M-1.jpg

Here's what I started with.
262755005_sdVuF-M-1.jpg

Last edited:
those are called a few different things. we have at least 3 names for everything in the us.lol. bucking spikes, bumper spikes , dogs, dawgs, ect. gl finding the part. they are preety easy to make. i like to use stainless

Yup, dogs or spikes. In the UK they are called spikes, in the US they are usually dogs....or dawgs, depending on where you come from.

Here is an 07S spike

attachment.php

It used to be mine, but it's on Brad's saw now!

I have a parts list, but no manual. If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send it over.

If the neighbours are worried about the smoke...what do they think of the NOISE!

Last edited:
hey everyone!:)

Today me and my dad have been working with the saw, and I must say I'm quite suprised how good it runs:) I used 40:1 now and there was almost no smoke:) About the noise, I don't care about that;) I just have one problem, which I need to fix. I don't have a chain uhm adjuster? Or so, my chain goes wider and wider:hmm3grin2orange: So I will have to make one myself, well that should be plausible.

Edwin

15 yrs old and working on a saw almost 3 times his age.

that's awesome.:greenchainsaw:

Haha, I think it indeed is;) I love to work on such machines, everything with an engine, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, doesn't matter love it:) Although I prefer 2-stroke and especialy a very special saw like this one:)

Latest posts

Back