Stihl 201t or husky t540???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, as you can tell by my username, I'm a stihl fan. I'm in the market for a new top handle saw, which I really need as a backup, as I only have one right now. I'm hearing interesting things about the 540 mk3.

Ive heard good and bad things about both saws, I'm currently looking into both, the 540 mk3 and the 201cm, so far I'm not set on either, I'd prefer a stihl for dealer support, but I work on my own saws so no biggie.

I'm looking for personal experiences with either of these saws.

At stihls website, the 201 has a 3.9 review rating . The 540 has a 4.0 review rating on treestuff and costs, so it's almost a wash there.

Price is the big difference, the 201 is $860. The 540 is $570.

Let's hear the experiences and opinions on these saws. Thanks in advance.

This is husky’s 3rd crack at this model- they can’t make a top handle saw that works past warranty imo. I have 3 t540 mk 1 and 2 sitting cause they wont idle after 100 hours on clock
The ms201tcm is far better for reliability-true the early non mtronic were issues. But now only have the odd wire harness go on mtronic versions. cheap and not hard to replace.
The t540 may outcut Stihl , but in 4” limbs is it really noticeable at the end of day.

Or should just get a used 200t? I've heard those are pretty god as well
If its for anything other than the occasional use I would go with a new or like-new saw (i.e. a 200t made up by lonewolf here on the forum). If you rely on it, just get something new. That being said, a good 200t is a solid saw and 20 years ago there was no other alternative

Hi guys, as you can tell by my username, I'm a stihl fan. I'm in the market for a new top handle saw, which I really need as a backup, as I only have one right now. I'm hearing interesting things about the 540 mk3.

Ive heard good and bad things about both saws, I'm currently looking into both, the 540 mk3 and the 201cm, so far I'm not set on either, I'd prefer a stihl for dealer support, but I work on my own saws so no biggie.

I'm looking for personal experiences with either of these saws.

At stihls website, the 201 has a 3.9 review rating . The 540 has a 4.0 review rating on treestuff and costs, so it's almost a wash there.

Price is the big difference, the 201 is $860. The 540 is $570.

Let's hear the experiences and opinions on these saws. Thanks in advance.
Used 200T !

Latest posts

Back