Stihl 25" Bar Overall Length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullseye T&L

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody with a Stihl 25" bar happen to know what the overall length is from tip to tail? Reason I'm asking is that I have a MS362 running a 3/8 24" Tsumura bar. Ran an Oregon 24" before that one. Supposedly they call for 84 DL chain on these 24" bars, like the Stihl 25" does. But over several years I have had to shorten several chains by 2 drive lengths 1/2-2/3 through their cutting life. Just seems odd that this is the only saw I have to do it with. It finally occurred to me that maybe the Stihl 25" bar is actually a tad longer than the aftermarket 24" equivalents. I always thought they were the same. I know on a brand new chain, I have to move the chain adjuster .465" toward bar tip on the initial install. There is only about 1" of total movement on the adjuster. Anyway, just got me wondering about the Stihl bar.

Need to measure belly width too when doing all of this type stuff.

I have to take links out on locals 72DL stuff over time. Chain stretch from heat and lack of oiling etc IMO.

I'll look and think I have some still out there.

Attachments

• sbars2024.jpg
    sbars2024.jpg
    44.8 KB
Need to measure belly width too when doing all of this type stuff.

I have to take links out on locals 72DL stuff over time. Chain stretch from heat and lack of oiling etc IMO.

I'll look and think I have some still out there.
Yeah, that was the other piece of the puzzle, lol. Thanks.

Well, there's the answer.

Stihl 25": 27 1/2" L, 3 1/8" W
Oregon Powercut: 27 1/2" L, 3" W
Tsumura Light: 27 5/16" L, 3" W

Looks like just Tsumura from length difference is 3/16" shorter than Stihl. That would equate to about 1/2 DL total chain length right there. That would mean the initial adjuster position would only be around 0.2775" toward tip IF I had the Stihl bar. That would leave about 0.7225" of range left, which is almost 2 DL. Appreciate the measurements @RedneckChainsawRepair.

ETA: I noticed this more since I put the Tsumura bar on, now that I think about it.

Back