Stihl 261 C-M Intermittent Hot Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ve done the let it idle item. Got summer gas.
Next will be check the tank for bubbles,, that will test the tank vent as well. a s my dealer guys said tank vent have been a issue as well,,, other threads say change the control/coil unit,, saw is a 2015
Ive done many a reset and replaced the injector thingy and filter. coil is $150 cad

I ve done the let it idle item. Got summer gas.
Next will be check the tank for bubbles,, that will test the tank vent as well. a s my dealer guys said tank vent have been a issue as well,,, other threads say change the control/coil unit,, saw is a 2015
Ive done many a reset and replaced the injector thingy and filter. coil is $150 cad
You tried hot starting it in run position with the throttle wide open?

That's how I used to hot start mine back before I learned to let it idle before shut down. Mine is a touch newer than yours. I bought mine in 2018, however, it was from a shop that doesn't move a lot of saws, let alone pro saws. So I'm not 100% what year it was made. It's an earlier version though.

Op didn’t real it all but what have you figured out???
The ms261c is my first m-tronic saw, I am a standard carb all the way type of guy…anyway I have tried any possible way to find an issue with the 261c and you know what I can’t get it to buckle…the starting procedure is different so if you are doing it correctly go back and get a damn new one that works…I was as Leary as anyone about “mtronic” but it has been 1000% flawless…
Please update us this sounds crazy to me!!!

Tried it all,,, very frustrating,, it will go sometimes,,, after a lot of yankin
After you run the saw for hour or so and turn it off, how do start it when you pick it back up…do you just pull the cord or wo you move the chicken lever at all??

Tried both,,, it doesnt seem to matter,,, i tried moving coil a lil closer to flywheel as well,, paper close now,,
Due I just realized how old this thread is if they didn’t give you a new saw and you been dealing with this for years it’s crazy to me!!!!
Do you want to sell it??

Are the non mtronic coils the same??? as i have a non mtroinc.
have a 201 as well,, may will do some searching see if any coils can swap,,

I got the saw straight gassed has new meteor in it,, probalay 2-3 hrs since

gets so ya dont wanna shut it off

I just seen this is 10- years old lmao did you buy the saw new??

I got the saw straight gassed has new meteor in it,, probalay 2-3 hrs since

gets so ya dont wanna shut it off
What so are you the original poster or not??
If so did you buy a used or new saw??

Got it straight gassed, its a 2015 saw has meteor now with some time on it
Im not the op,,, was wanting to know if the other guy got a fix,,
When rebuilt, was a pressure vac test done before or after repair? Although you said it was straight gas(open and shut case) mtronic can mask an air leak while running to a degree, but it still is there. Or issue with piston or cylinder was borderline?

FIX that works so far for me so far - I cut at 5000’ - 9000’+, and when hot (80 degrees or above) stock 261Cs and 362Cs will just quit (Huskys act up too). My new ported saw from MMWS didn’t give me problems. So I started thinking what is different from Randy’s saws? What I found was a new coil - latest pn from Stihl - AND a muffler mod seems to cure the problem. Still experimenting but so far the saws I have sone that to are working ok in the heat.

Latest posts

Back