Stihl 261c automatic oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven8439

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, finally got around to purchasing a 261c. I live in Florida and took a pretty big hit from Hurricane Helene. When I got home the next morning I had a large pine tree down in my backyard that took my fence and shed out. Well, with being stressed and kind of in a hurry from that I guess when I filled my saw up with bar oil I didn't lock the cap all the way. Well about 20 to 30 minutes into cutting the tree I noticed my bar oil cap was off and immediately shut the saw off, of course there was no bar oil in it. I'm worried this might of caused damage to my brand new 261 from running it with no bar oil in. I filled it up with bar oil and made sure the cap was on tight. I probably did another hour of cutting with it at this point. Cut just fine with no problems. Bar and chain look to be completely okay. No burn marks or stress marks on the bar. The only thing I noticed is the chain looks to be awfully dry. I'm worried that running it for a little with no bar oil could have damaged the oil pump? Today I'm gonna get out there with a piece of cardboard and see if it's throwing bar oil. I just feel like I should be able to see bar oil on the chain but like I said, the chain looks pretty dang dry. Now, when I pull the chain up I can see some bar oil under the chain along the bar. Maybe I'm just over reacting cause this is my first good saw I purchased. Thank you guys.

If you don't see a lot of wear on the bars chain channel your ok, if you think the chain is not getting enough oil you can adjust the out put of oil.
Make sure you always lock the fuel and chainoil caps your not the first person who have left caps unlocked.

Back