Stihl 441-C?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a Stihl 441-C, how do they compare with the older 044/440 saws? On that same note, how does it compare with a Husqvarna 372XP? Are these all newer M-style electronic carbs? I had one of these in a 362C, and seemed to work pretty well. Any reason to avoid one? Thanks!

I rebuilt one that a guy burned out and said "Fix it and it's yours." So, I did and it runs fine now. Service manual was not easy to follow, but I did it. Here it is in action:
1721422645332.jpeg
With a 25" bar and it pulls it without breathing hard. This one is M-tronic, and I was rather surprised at how smoothly it runs. It does have more power than my MS361. Had I bought it new, I would have been broke because these saws when new are not cheap (over a grand).

I rebuilt one that a guy burned out and said "Fix it and it's yours." So, I did and it runs fine now. Service manual was not easy to follow, but I did it. Here it is in action:
View attachment 1191810
With a 25" bar and it pulls it without breathing hard. This one is M-tronic, and I was rather surprised at how smoothly it runs. It does have more power than my MS361. Had I bought it new, I would have been broke because these saws when new are not cheap (over a grand).
What's the point of cutting the wood that way, I'm assuming it's all getting split for firewood...

What's the point of cutting the wood that way, I'm assuming it's all getting split for firewood...
Merely to reduce the size and weight of the big round, especially oak, locust, hedge, etc. Lifting rounds like that onto a tailgate or a horizontal log splitter is not easy. Some of them weigh well over 100 lb. When you double the diameter of a log round you quadruple its weight. On occasion and when they really get big, I will quarter them rather than just noodle cut them in half.

I even shop-built a device that helps lift logs onto the tailgate of my pickup truck:
1721429352426.jpeg
I was able to stop using this invention after I started noodle cutting logs in halves or quarters. The hydraulic springs were used on hatchback cars and many are still in service.

This Pic might also help get the point across:
1721429871491.jpeg

That's a 36" bar on my Makita 6401. Think you could easily lift an 18" long log round from that tree?

Think you could easily lift an 18" long log round from that tree?

Sure, but I use this...

1raEj2B.jpg

I gave up trying to man-handle large pieces, and usually haul the splitter wherever I'm busting wood. I don't burn nearly as much as I used to, but I've found moving the wood as little as possible makes a lot less work. Speaking of work, horizontal splitters are far too much work for me, I much prefer versions you can lift up and use vertically.

Yxk4ZSA.jpg

I ran the saw a little today, seemed to run pretty well....definitely needs the chain sharpened. I already have a 24" bar on a 372XP, may look for a 20" bar for this one.

Sure, but I use this...

1raEj2B.jpg

I gave up trying to man-handle large pieces, and usually haul the splitter wherever I'm busting wood. I don't burn nearly as much as I used to, but I've found moving the wood as little as possible makes a lot less work. Speaking of work, horizontal splitters are far too much work for me, I much prefer versions you can lift up and use vertically.

Yxk4ZSA.jpg
Amen, I wouldn't be without a loader, tractor mounted or skid steer. And I try my best to haul logs out of the woods and do the processing at the house. Touch the wood as little as possible.

Most of what I cut is from fence lines etc. that was not timbered for whatever reason and eventually fell down.
36 inches or more red oak mostly. I have a splitter with a lift, but you need to noodle it in to quarters to even get it to the lift.

There are two different cylinder for those MS441's . Not sure why. I rebuilt one of the older versions for a tree company maybe two years ago. Took like three months to get the top end. Hasn't come back and they are hard on stuff. So.

No, the first few years of production they came with standard, adjustable carbs. I believe in 2012 is when they tuned over using the M-tronic carb.
I believe that's right. The guy who originally bought my 441 cm bought it in 2014. The crew he hired to use it burned it out at least five years ago. I rebuilt the engine four years ago.

Latest posts

Back