Stihl 661 Magnum Flooding Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any updates on what the cause was?
I got the same problem with a new 661. First tank and a half it ran great, now it won't start and is completely flooded.
Were you trying to start it from cold?

Is it the Standard Carb or M-Tronic version?

Mad3400

Were you trying to start it from cold?

Is it the Standard Carb or M-Tronic version?

Mad3400
Yes, cold start with M-tronic.
Tried new fuel mixes from different jerrycans to make sure it's not a fuel related issue, took the spark plug and filter off overnight to make sure it dries well, but same issue this morning .

Yes, cold start with M-tronic.
Tried new fuel mixes from different jerrycans to make sure it's not a fuel related issue, took the spark plug and filter off overnight to make sure it dries well, but same issue this morning .
Are you using the Decompression Button?

Mad3400

Try starting without the Decompression button, making sure the lever is in the Triangle position (they can be finicky).

If that doesn't do the trick, I wouldn't recommend tearing it apart, since it's most likely under warranty if it's brand new.

You might try seeing if the Spark plug wire is on securely.

Mad3400

Try starting without the Decompression button, making sure the lever is in the Triangle position (they can be finicky).

If that doesn't do the trick, I wouldn't recommend tearing it apart, since it's most likely under warranty if it's brand new.

You might try seeing if the Spark plug wire is on securely.

Mad3400
I tried with and without using the decompression many times, and it goes smoothly to the triangle position, that's not the problem. Spark plug and wiring is good, has good spark, everything I looked at without taking it all appart is good . Yeah it's under warranty so I don't want to look much further.
I just wanted to know if it was a common issue with an easy fix before sending it back to the dealership, since I live in a remote area and the closest dealership is a helicopter ride + 7h drive away...
Thanks anyway!

I tried with and without using the decompression many times, and it goes smoothly to the triangle position, that's not the problem. Spark plug and wiring is good, has good spark, everything I looked at without taking it all appart is good . Yeah it's under warranty so I don't want to look much further.
I just wanted to know if it was a common issue with an easy fix before sending it back to the dealership, since I live in a remote area and the closest dealership is a helicopter ride + 7h drive away...
Thanks anyway!
That's rough bud and quite frankly the epitome of "pain in the ass".

The only thing that comes to mind is that you've got a faulty solenoid (could be stuck) or bent metering fork.

In your case, I would trying taking it apart and get it working!

Mad3400

Back