Stihl chainsaws made in China

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• s250china.jpg
    s250china.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
"Made in Japan" meant junk. Eventually it meant well engineered, simple, reliable, tough. Now it has become overly complex computer controlled everything. Similarly anything from long established manufacturers. Returning to the junk phase. All of them.

China is nearing the well engineered, simple, reliable stage. Unfortunately they steal designs and copy things wildly. Reminds me of Japan...except China doesn't give a crap if many of their products are obvious copies, they don't even try to mask it. That seems more honest to me.

I had my least "pro" of my "good" saws out a few days ago. My Echo 590. I hadn't run it since the spring. Predictably, as usual, the tune was off. So I fiddled and farted for a while getting it to run well. As usual. Then it was fine. They are a totally unremarkable saw that cut wood ok, but handle like a cinder block, sound kinda funny, get dirty fast and have lazy throttle response compared to pretty much anything else I have. Boring as hell, but effective. Finicky, imo. I don't know what the hubbub is all about.

Then, the next day I'm back to my blue Supmix. No comparison. It handles like a proper saw, instant throttle response, cuts like a maniac, tunes easily and predictably and runs decently even when the tune is a little off. It's such a nicer saw to run it's shocking, really. 🤷‍♂️

China is capable of making some very high quality products with the right specifications and oversight. I bet a MIC Stihl is a good machine.

They also make obsolete parts for saws and other things when noone else will. I just ordered a replacement ignition module for a 40 year old Homelite, made in China. I can't attest to the reliability yet but it sure is better than hanging the saw on the wall.

My Honda 390 clone Lifan motor came with a carburetor made in Japan. Cina knows a good carb when they see it. When my Lifan pull start broke I got a Honda starter, looked at it and it was made in Thailand.

I'm happy with all my pre-2000 Stihls made in Germany with Japanese spark plugs (NGK) now, since Bosch started making plugs in China. Need to check the NGKs some are Brazil and I think some China now?

I still have a couple boxes of the German plugs for spares if needed, and my other parts spares are NOS Stihl.

1 bosch 2.JPG

Screw the Chi-Com stuff, Stihl branded or not.

Back