Stihl Compression release?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Shelton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am trying to get my 1986 Stihl 038AV Super saw running after being stored for 15 or so years. After a lot of cleanup and replacing the vent and fuel hoses, it starts and runs great when it does start. What I don't understand is sometimes the starter rope is extremely hard to pull and other times it pulls and starts like it should. Is there a compression release on this saw that may not be functioning properly?

Pull up to compression, then pull through. If seems to run OK, possibly some carburetor bleed through when sitting.
Also get a look at the started pulley. Not uncommon to have the old rope bind.
I have tried that but seems to still be inconsistent. Also no excessive fuel when I pull the sparkplug and pull the starter rope. Removed the starter and found it was clean and smooth with no wear marks.

OK. I remembered that I had bought a chicom carburetor for this saw but never usedit. Installed carb, cleaned sparkplug, and it started. Adjusted on the carb to clean it up and runs and starts good for now. Much easier to pull the rope now. I think I will order a carb kit for the original Tilly carb just in case. Thanks for all the responses that led me in the right direction.
BTW, the new carb has snorkle plate. Should I replace it with the plate off of the original carb?

If that is the Tillotson carb with the plastic plate with the inlet needle, throw it as far as you can and forget where it is. Stihl got smart and went to regular style carbs many years ago. It solved MANY starting and running issues.

Starts and runs and cuts pretty good with chicom carb. Carb settings are 1 turn out on both screws. What is the best method of correctly tuning the carb?

Latest posts

Back