Stihl hedgetrimmer mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesjc

Reaction score
Hi ,
So I have an hs 45 for a few years and its been generally ok with not much in the way of problems .
However recently it just dies mid way thru some light work .
My multimeter indicated the coil was gone so ordered a new one plus plug .
Fitted both and still no spark . have returned the coil as defective and got one elswhere and still no spark ..
Plug is fine in my chainsaw .
Have also replaced the switch to be sure and the kill wire works as it should according to my multi meter .
Its quite a mystery so any ideas welcome ?

I'm not sure if I understand you 100%--do you still have no spark after trying 2 new coils? Or do you have spark but now the trimmer suddenly shuts off while in use? If the latter is your situation you might check to make sure the fuel tank vent is functional. If you still have no spark then perhaps the gap between coil and flywheel is incorrect?

Take a breath and start over.
Test spark with a large gapped sparkplug. Make sure it is well grounded to metal. I will use a jumper wire to the cylinder to be sure.
Remove the switch wire from the coil and test. This eliminates the switch circuit.
Also check that the coil is grounded to the cylinder. Have had some with this issue also.
Last but not least, does the flywheel have magnetism?
Flywheel key broken? Would not start but still have spark.

As Stihltech said, disconnect the kill switch wire from the COIL and then check for spark. jmho :cool: OT

zilch .. I am gonna take the coil back next week and get another one .

Its not OEM as its too expensive here to buy stihl but an aftermarket version compatible with my machine and many others .

Latest posts

Back