Stihl HT 131 Pole saw Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlskin

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello All. Ht131 pole saw is running fine but when you go to cut a branch the chain wont revolve easily.

If you go extremely gently it will start and go but it feels like a worn clutch?

In saying that is it the clutch in the powerhead or is there a clutch mechanism in the saw gear head? I don't have a shop manual but would like one if someone know of one available online? Your advice much appreciated. R. Stihlskin.

I do tree work and I accidentally bent my pole saw cutting a big branch cuz it came down on top of it. I straightened it out the best I could but now it has an extremely violent vibration.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

The clutch is in between the engine and the shaft. I have one of those pole saw pole pruners but have not had any problems like you describe. Hopefully it is in the clutch and not a striped out drive shaft at either end.

Put workshop manual and the model and make in a search and with some luck one of the results will be real and not want you to sign up and pay. It really should be pretty much like any string trimmer or bursh cutter clutch.

Could be your sprocket is toast.
There are friction cup washers that hold that sprocket on that are designed to slip in the event of a sudden binding jolt. This slippage is there to keep components from overtorquing, causing costly stripped splines, twisted drive shafts, Etc, Etc

I do tree work and I accidentally bent my pole saw cutting a big branch cuz it came down on top of it. I straightened it out the best I could but now it has an extremely violent vibration.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
The only way of trying to straighten I've ever had hit or miss success with is to totally disassemble the tube and drive shaft assembly and straighten the bent areas with a Harbor Freight hydraulic tubing bender. Then file any snags or bumps with a good coarse file.
Warning; if you don't get it reassembled back the same, it won't work right.
Label, take pictures, or whatever it takes, not to get anything backwards.
Those 45° cutting head drive adapters help prevent what happened to your pole pruner.
They are about $100.00, and they work great!

Could be your sprocket is toast.
There are friction cup washers that hold that sprocket on that are designed to slip in the event of a sudden binding jolt. This slippage is there to keep components from overtorquing, causing costly stripped splines, twisted drive shafts, Etc, Etc

Yup......I'd be checking those.

ok thanks guys, ill check those friction washers first, i suspect thats the problem. those chain oilers are pretty average, are they adjustable?

dont think so and as feed hole is small any crud that falls in past your oil cap can block the hole so flush and keep clean as possible

Have you taken chain off revved and spun the the sproket too see if powers up shaft ok

Back