STIHL MS 400.1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The listed displacement of 62.6cc begs an interesting question in my mind: Has Stihl used the same crank in this new 400cm as they used in the 500i? because the throw on the 500i is 34.6mm and the most straight forward way to get to 62.6cc is that throw with a 48mm piston. This would be a meaningful (and unexpected) change from the OE 400cm with a 34mm throw and 50mm piston... any way to confirm this?

The listed displacement of 62.6cc begs an interesting question in my mind: Has Stihl used the same crank in this new 400cm as they used in the 500i? because the throw on the 500i is 34.6mm and the most straight forward way to get to 62.6cc is that throw with a 48mm piston. This would be a meaningful (and unexpected) change from the OE 400cm with a 34mm throw and 50mm piston... any way to confirm this?
I highly doubt they would use the 500I crank given the weights savings over the standard 400C.

Will the new 400.1 be listed as a pro saw ? The old 400 c-m was listed as larger woodcutting , In the USA.

Attachments

• STIHL 2023-chainsaw-comparison.pdf
    542.7 KB
According to rumors on the German-language Internet, they have abandoned the magnesium piston.
Damn cheapies…. That mag piston was one of the things that made the 400 so attractive. Not just because of less overall weight but less rotating mass… makes an enormous difference in how fast and smooth the saw winds up… (shrug) I suppose if I ever get one of these I can swap it out with a magnesium piston (if they’re the same bore) but ugh what a bummer (shrug)

Just seems odd to negate the benefits of the lighter piston and go to the smaller bore, which would just benefit the rotating assembly more. Really just seems like a bad move on stihls part. The 400 was widely accepted and has a good track record for being a new saw design.
+1 (that’s what I meant to say 🤣)

Back