Stihl MS194t Problems...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you cannot find another base yours can be repaired/welded...maybe
I'll ask my pro aircraft welder neighbor :p
I've read that they can be repaired with a TIG welder using some magnesium filler rod as these pans are a magnesium alloy. I can get a new one from diyspareparts - about 50 AUD inc. shipping. Not too expensive, but shipping is over half of that price...

Thanks again for all of your help.

I've read that they can be repaired with a TIG welder using some magnesium filler rod as these pans are a magnesium alloy. I can get a new one from diyspareparts - about 50 AUD inc. shipping. Not too expensive, but shipping is over half of that price...

Ah, so you're in AU, got it.
Was gonna look for a spare

Didn't know they were mag...cylinders are Aluminum so assumed the caps were the same.

Ah, so you're in AU, got it.
Was gonna look for a spare
Yes I'm stuck on this island where shipping is just insane 🤣 170usd to ship a parts ms192t from the US to me here... Saw is only 60 something usd of ebay.

Thanks though! If you do happen to have a spare let me know how much shipping and cost would be, might be interested if shipping isn't that bad.

Yes I'm stuck on this island where shipping is just insane 🤣 170usd to ship a parts ms192t from the US to me here... Saw is only 60 something usd of ebay.

Thanks though! If you do happen to have a spare let me know how much shipping and cost would be, might be interested if shipping isn't that bad.
Dang. I just got two saws shipped to me for under $17 :p
200t, 201t, parts saws. it was only a couple of states away, however.
Not eBay…member, I sent him a label.

Dang. I just got two saws shipped to me for under $17 :p
200t, 201t, parts saws. it was only a couple of states away, however.
Not eBay…member, I sent him a label.
Sounds like a very good deal - parts saws are very,very rare to come up on facebook or some other sites here. Even on ebay it is uncommon for us in aus.
I've been looking for ages for a saw to pop up as a parts saw - haven't had much luck besides ebay.com (america) where shipping is insanely expensive...

Do people tend to respond to "want to buy" posts? Contemplating if I should make one asking for a parts saw - I'm just concerned about how much shipping would cost...

Sounds like a very good deal - parts saws are very,very rare to come up on facebook or some other sites here. Even on ebay it is uncommon for us in aus.
I've been looking for ages for a saw to pop up as a parts saw - haven't had much luck besides ebay.com (america) where shipping is insanely expensive...

Do people tend to respond to "want to buy" posts? Contemplating if I should make one asking for a parts saw - I'm just concerned about how much shipping would cost...
A guy in Oregon does that and gets plenty of saws, some good, some junk. He runs adds on FB marketplace and Craigslist for wanted Stihl and Husqvarna saws. Sometimes he gets lucky and it is a quick fix and flip...sometimes they are basket cases that he pawns off on me. I strip them and add to my parts inventory. I've bought a few things from him and have helped him troubleshoot a few saws. Since we're so close he sends me repairs that he can't do. Ship whole saws for $10 back and forth each way :p We use Pirateship.com If nobody in your area is doing this I suggest you start. Never know what you might get.

What a good relationship - wish I had someone like that in my area. A few people in my surrounding area already have ad's up on facebook for "wanted stihl saws" etc... so I might not get lucky with that. Will try regardless.

Will put up a post on here to see what people have and how much it would cost to ship. I've been considering going to stihl dealers and asking if they have any broken saws that I could fix up to expand my knowledge on small engine repair, or simply giving them a business card saying I'll take their broken chainsaws for cash or something 🤷.

Would want my next project saw to be something that I'll hang onto and can pull a 25 inch bar... any reccomendations?

Well, after spending the last 2 hours outside in my shed - it's been put back together!

Went to Stihl on my way home and returned the free pan they gave me. I spoke to the mechanic and asked if he had any ms192t second hand pans. After 10 minutes of waiting he came out with basically an entire saw - missing covers, the handle, carby, and a few more bits and pieces. He gave me the saw for 20aud (13.5usd). Got home, took it apart and it is exactly the same pan, same numbers, etc...

Took off the pan, cleaned it, put some gasket maker on it as per instructions and put the engine back together. Put my saw back together, connected every line and put every screw back in its place. I'll put the carby back together tomorrow as that is still apart, replace the clutch springs and I'll see if it starts. I suspect that the engine pan broke due to the vibrations from the clutch - one of the clutch springs was broken and not there at all. I bought replacement clutch springs so that will be the next step.

Thanks for everyones help, you all have been very useful. Will update this thread if I manage to start it!

It runs! Sort of....

Reset the carby to factory as per manual, and started it as per the book. Starts on full throttle when the throttle lock is on, and runs well. Doesn't die at all. However, when I go to press to trigger to get rid of the "throttlelock" to let it idle, it dies as soon as it gets off high rpms... what could be the cause of this? Blocked fuel lines, not enough fuel, bad carby settings?

It runs! Sort of....

Reset the carby to factory as per manual, and started it as per the book. Starts on full throttle when the throttle lock is on, and runs well. Doesn't die at all. However, when I go to press to trigger to get rid of the "throttlelock" to let it idle, it dies as soon as it gets off high rpms... what could be the cause of this? Blocked fuel lines, not enough fuel, bad carby settings?

Probably bad carb settings since they are just a starting point.

But, I had one today that dies at idle. Put a new carb on . Same thing. Adjusted carb every which a way. Still dies half the time. Runs good has good power, won't idle.

Anyhow, on yours. Turn the idle speed screw in until it will keep running. Then adjust the idle needle for max RPM and maybe richen it up just a little from that and turn the idle speed screw back down until the chain doesn't turn at idle.

If all is well that is how you do it.

Probably bad carb settings since they are just a starting point.

But, I had one today that dies at idle. Put a new carb on . Same thing. Adjusted carb every which a way. Still dies half the time. Runs good has good power, won't idle.

Anyhow, on yours. Turn the idle speed screw in until it will keep running. Then adjust the idle needle for max RPM and maybe richen it up just a little from that and turn the idle speed screw back down until the chain doesn't turn at idle.

If all is well that is how you do it.

This has sort of worked. Did as you reccomended and turned the idle screw all the way in. Started up, and when I went to press the throttle it idled a bit longer but then died. After I started it again, I was able to "revv" it. High rpms --> mid rpms and then revv back to high rpms. Would die after revving it a few times as well...

Suspecting that it is getting starved of fuel - bad carb, blocked fuel lines or bad tank vent are all possible options from what I have read online.

This has sort of worked. Did as you reccomended and turned the idle screw all the way in. Started up, and when I went to press the throttle it idled a bit longer but then died. After I started it again, I was able to "revv" it. High rpms --> mid rpms and then revv back to high rpms. Would die after revving it a few times as well...

Suspecting that it is getting starved of fuel - bad carb, blocked fuel lines or bad tank vent are all possible options from what I have read online.

I'm thinking mine is more likely leaking around the impulse line, or through it.

Could just be compression getting low, on the one I am messing with anyway.

I'm thinking mine is more likely leaking around the impulse line, or through it.

Could just be compression getting low, on the one I am messing with anyway.
Will check these today, is the impulse the line from the engine to the bottom of the "airbox", or the line from the fuel tank that connects into the airbox, and the copper line from the carby slots into the line?

Will also get a compression test done.

Will check these today, is the impulse the line from the engine to the bottom of the "airbox", or the line from the fuel tank that connects into the airbox, and the copper line from the carby slots into the line?

Will also get a compression test done.
impulse line is from cylinder to carb

I haven't done a check on the impulse line, however it might just be my high/low settings that are wrong. Started the saw again, with the idle screw all the way in. The "switch" on the handle was all the way down, in the start position. Started it as per the book and just let it run high RPMs. Ran fine. As soon as I pulled the throttle in, it died.

This is most likely just bad carb settings, correct?

Latest posts

Back