Stihl MS291 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babaoriley

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this stihl ms291 from original owner. He said he bought it new, ran couple times then no more running. Saw looks new to me, compression is good, piston looks good. Only problem is, he got it serviced somewhere and those people are so bad. They removed everything and didn’t put them back like they were. Bolts/screws are all over, intake boot and spark plug are loose. Now my problem is, I try to pull start it without knowing screws and bolts are all over the place. The ignition coil are loose as well and of course it’s tangled up with the flywheel. I think the coil is toast, but I don’t know if the flywheel is okay. I attach some pics, any advice would help, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    1.7 MB
Gosh.

I'd put the parts you have back on the saw...correctly...and, see if it has spark, runs, or pops with mix down the hole.

If there is any sign the previous guys had the flywheel off, I would remove and reinstall. Same for clutch.

Good luck.

Roy
It ran, I got it running at first, then let it sit for a while. Tried to start it again today, then realized a lot of things are loose and the coil is stuck with the flywheel. Put it all back together but now the saw won’t start. Likely the coil is messed up, just wanna hear you guys opinions.

Now, that is is not running, have you checked for spark? Tried mix down the plug hole?

One good thing about these saws is finding used parts (other than pistons), from saws being parted, is easy. Also, many 271 parts fit.

One bad thing...they are not great saws. A fellow thinking about buying a coil, and then maybe a flywheel. and then maybe..... You just want to be sure you really want a 291.

Roy

Now, that is is not running, have you checked for spark? Tried mix down the plug hole?

One good thing about these saws is finding used parts (other than pistons), from saws being parted, is easy. Also, many 271 parts fit.

One bad thing...they are not great saws. A fellow thinking about buying a coil, and then maybe a flywheel. and then maybe..... You just want to be sure you really want a 291.

Roy
lol I know they’re not good saws but for $75 for the power head that looks new and I have some bar and chain laying around so why not? I took the wire off, and pulled a couple, no spark that I can see. I think the coil is fked up.

I'd get a new coil and space it properly. Then run it.
I had an 017 coil do the same. Saw ran fine after coil replaced.

It ran, I got it running at first, then let it sit for a while. Tried to start it again today, then realized a lot of things are loose and the coil is stuck with the flywheel. Put it all back together but now the saw won’t start. Likely the coil is messed up, just wanna hear you guys opinions.
That coil is shot. May have sheared the key on the flywheel from the looks of the coil also. Take it all apart and start over. Good luck. jmho :cool: OT

So the owner did buy it brand new, ran it full speed with chain brake on, messed up brake band and clutch. He tried to return it I guess. They inspected it and didn’t put things back together. I put things back together, and replaced clutch, brake band and a new brake cover. Now she screams with a 18” bar and chain. This thing is a lot lighter than my 38 mag but looks very flimsy to me lol

Latest posts

Back