Stihl MS400CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanisiusHist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've recently acquired a Stihl MS400CM to add to my small collection that includes an MS290 and 045 AVSE. I've yet to find a need for a bar longer than 25" on the 045 and am curious if anyone's ran a 25" bar on their MS400. I know Stihl recommended bars go up to 25" for the MS400 but would appreciate the real world experiences from the community.

With a full skip chain, it ought to pull it. I don't believe I would want to log with it though. I would have gotten the MS462 for that.
Thankfully I don't heat with firewood anymore. It's going to live a very sedate life, cleaning up the occasional deadfall and selectively harvesting trees to feed my hobbyist sawmill which then feeds my woodshop.

I've recently acquired a Stihl MS400CM to add to my small collection that includes an MS290 and 045 AVSE. I've yet to find a need for a bar longer than 25" on the 045 and am curious if anyone's ran a 25" bar on their MS400. I know Stihl recommended bars go up to 25" for the MS400 but would appreciate the real world experiences from the community.
I ran a 25 and have occasionally ran a 28. It pull both with authority in western softwoods using RS skip chain.
For eastern hard woods I would run a 20" max.

Back