Stihl ms440 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerem

Reaction score
Hey guys. A bit of an odd request perhaps. I have a MS440 that has stopped and won't restart. I'm worried the engine might be toast. I have really good working knowledge of the other mechanicals of the saw but have no knowledge of repairing or rebuilding an engine. I would love to watch and learn. Is there anyone in NE Wisconsin that would be willing to help me rebuild it if I pay them for their time and knowledge? I might consider just some general directions if it's easy enough to do on my own. I'm not unhandy, I just don't have any experience with pistons, cylinders, intakes and rings to even know where to begin.

Thanks

First step I always recommend is for you to take the front cover off the muffler. This will allow you to see the exhaust skirt of the piston and evaluate its condition, vertical score lines on that side of the piston will tell us a whole lot about the condition of your engine. Removing just the four T27 torks screws is very easy and costs nothing but a bit of effort and time on your part, it will tell the members on here a lot about the engines past history as well. Post some close up clear pics and the process will get started.

First step I always recommend is for you to take the front cover off the muffler. This will allow you to see the exhaust skirt of the piston and evaluate its condition, vertical score lines on that side of the piston will tell us a whole lot about the condition of your engine. Removing just the four T27 torks screws is very easy and costs nothing but a bit of effort and time on your part, it will tell the members on here a lot about the engines past history as well. Post some close up clear pics and the process will get started.
And if that all checks out, replacing rings is quite simple

Latest posts

Back