Stihl ms500i stalling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicairem

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m wondering if someone is able to give me some help figuring out an issue I am having.

I just picked up a 500i that starts fine, cuts fine but about 50% of the time the saw will die coming back to idle. It can be from free revving or coming out of a cut. The saw starts right back up after.

I did a vacuum and pressure test and found no leaks. Cylinder and piston is in excellent condition. Tank vent is working fine and tank is holding pressure.

Hey guys! I’m wondering if someone is able to give me some help figuring out an issue I am having.

I just picked up a 500i that starts fine, cuts fine but about 50% of the time the saw will die coming back to idle. It can be from free revving or coming out of a cut. The saw starts right back up after.

I did a vacuum and pressure test and found no leaks. Cylinder and piston is in excellent condition. Tank vent is working fine and tank is holding pressure.
I had a new one that did that.
Fuel injector was bad and after that the fuel pump… I traded it in on a husq 585 and never looked back
I got sick and tired of the bs on who was gonna pay for what the shop or stihl a new saw shouldn’t have had that many problems out of the box!

One more thing to check is the fuel hose itself. Most likely checked using the carburetor end of the hose for previous tests. May not show a crack inside the table.
Does the spark keep going as it shuts down? This is where an online spark checker is handy.
Sounds like you have done a decent diagnosis to this point.It may be time to get it on the Stihl diagnostic computer. I have found a couple temp sensors off so far. A few other possibilities. Without the diag program, you will be throwing expensive parts at it until repaired.

One more thing to check is the fuel hose itself. Most likely checked using the carburetor end of the hose for previous tests. May not show a crack inside the table.
Does the spark keep going as it shuts down? This is where an online spark checker is handy.
Sounds like you have done a decent diagnosis to this point.It may be time to get it on the Stihl diagnostic computer. I have found a couple temp sensors off so far. A few other possibilities. Without the diag program, you will be throwing expensive parts at it until repaired.
I spoke to stihl last weeke and they said they can’t look at the saw for 3 weeks…I’m going to try another dealership. First I will run through the stihl fuel system check list from the manual.

I spoke to stihl last weeke and they said they can’t look at the saw for 3 weeks…I’m going to try another dealership. First I will run through the stihl fuel system check list from the manual.
Took them over 6mos to look at the one I had issues with. I finally gave up, ordered parts and fixed it.

Check all the plug connectors to the brain, the common fault on the injection disc cutters (same set up) is the pins pulling/ vibrating out of the plastic plug outers (they, by all looks and purposes appear to be connected, but have a tendancy to separate slightly) resulting in a sometimes intermittent fault or failure.

the ups and downs of having a saw you have to rely on a dealer to plug in to manufactures software. Its a bad rout to go down just look at john deer and how farmers want to take them on.

the ups and downs of having a saw you have to rely on a dealer to plug in to manufactures software. Its a bad rout to go down just look at john deer and how farmers want to take them on.

Hate you are having issues. We would find out what is wrong with it in a couple of days. Always do.

Hell, we ordered $20,000 of oil Thursday. Give you some idea.

Latest posts

Back