stihl ms661 c-m vs husky 395xp??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieDave

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing my first big saw. Looking at either a stihl 661c-m or a husky 395xp but not sure which way to go. Havnt been able to find a comparison between the two (only vs predecessors of the opposite brand eg 066 vs 395xp) Leaning towards the 661 as stock specs seem to lean in favor of this saw. Thoughts/experience in the 2 would be greatly appreciated!!

Depends. Do you have any preference or existing stihl / husqvarna saws/tools? Do you already have a bar for the saw or will you buy one? Do you have a preferred dealer nearby or do you plan to work on the saw yourself? Do you buy chain locally and if so what is stocked locally? (Stihl will use 0.063 gauge and husky will use 0.058.) What kind of trees are you working on, and what is their average size? Will the saw be kept stock or will you plan to modify it?

Get both! Then you'll know the differences.............real helpful I know and am sure if possible you might just do so! :laughing:
But I second Derf........if you have a prefered dealer you like more and what brand equipment already in your arsenal. Good luck sir and let us know when the new addition arrives!

Hard choice, new saw time is always difficult for me. Usually I know what I need but this list of 'wants' gets in the way. Both are good saws, I believe the 661 is going through the process of ironing out its faults as its new to the market being the first 90cc Mtronic strato. The 395 has gone through this and is close to the end of its model life with a good reputation. I think the 395 is a slightly stronger saw but the 661 is full of the latest tech and runs good right out of the box. What your intentions are as far as bar size and what your mainly going to use the saw for would wiegh into my decision. The HD2 air filters on the stihls work better than any factory filter in our conditions.

Depends. Do you have any preference or existing stihl / husqvarna saws/tools? Do you already have a bar for the saw or will you buy one? Do you have a preferred dealer nearby or do you plan to work on the saw yourself? Do you buy chain locally and if so what is stocked locally? (Stihl will use 0.063 gauge and husky will use 0.058.) What kind of trees are you working on, and what is their average size? Will the saw be kept stock or will you plan to modify it?

I guess the chain gauge thing is dependent on location. Around here husqvarna with.063 on longer bars is common.

No preference between the two. Have good dealers for both where i live in Aus. Just looking at which has more bang for its buck. Am am looking at running a 25inch bar and occasionally a 30inch. Will be used for cutting fire wood; redgum and stringybark. But also have a bit of an urge to possibly have a go at slabbing some timber down the track. This may sound rather rookie of me but what is .063 chain?? Is it different width chain? Can 3/8 pitch come in different sizes? And am just looking at stock standard at the moment. Even though ive seen some awesome machines that have been toyed with since joining this site!! Didnt even realise people played with them like that!

Hard choice, new saw time is always difficult for me. Usually I know what I need but this list of 'wants' gets in the way. Both are good saws, I believe the 661 is going through the process of ironing out its faults as its new to the market being the first 90cc Mtronic strato. The 395 has gone through this and is close to the end of its model life with a good reputation. I think the 395 is a slightly stronger saw but the 661 is full of the latest tech and runs good right out of the box. What your intentions are as far as bar size and what your mainly going to use the saw for would wiegh into my decision. The HD2 air filters on the stihls work better than any factory filter in our conditions.

With saying the husky is a stronger saw do you mean power wise or physically?

Slight power edge may be to the 395xp but its also heavier and more bulky, so if i was going to buy a new saw I like the 661 for a new design with spring av vs older stihl and new mtronic technology (since you have a good dealer in case). If I was on a budget and buying used, you can get a relatively cheap old 394xp which will give you similar performance to 395xp, if not better, and is probably the most power for your buck. You can't pickup a used 661 for cheap.

If you are wanting to run a long bar(36"+) or mill with it, I would take the husky over the stihl. Otherwise, with a shorter bar I think the 661 would be better, faster and more nimble than the cinder block-like 395xp.

It sounds like a 390xp would be more appropriate for what you are wanting.

With saying the husky is a stronger saw do you mean power wise or physically?
Ya power. The 661 is a good bit smaller, sounds like you would be better off with the stihl running 25" bar/chain. Its the latest big saw out and is not dissapointed many that have them. Get the 'R' model!

My 661 with a sugi light 24" weighs 22.6#
My 395 with a regular 24" weighs 23.6#

You won't notice the difference in weight,there both heavy but you will notice the power difference,the 395 is stronger,doesn't vibrate as much and has a better filtration system.

I like the 661 but I run the 395 most.

Can't go wrong with said 2 saws but the 395 is bit of a bulky saw kind of like a wheelie bin with a bar?? IMHO.... I'd be more worried about the best discount on files you can get if going with (default) baby 3/8 chain in Aussie hardwood...

I have the MS661C. Really nice saw. I use it a lot and at the end of the day I realize how important the good anti vibe system is and this saw has it.
The power is great and the fuel efficiency as well. I really like my saw. I had to make the same decision some months ago and I m happy I went with Stihl. By the way I got it with a 28" bar 3/8 and I can use my old bar 20" 3/8 from my MS261.

661's are crap, ran one for a year. I would go husky, i went for a 390. Was watching the stihl timbersports the other day expecting to see some 661's been raced in stock saw class and they were using 660's, the piped 880's looked cool though.

Yep, the 395xp is just like a cinder block with a handle but it is also as smooth as southern sipin’ liquor. You need cortisone shots after running an ms660. Hopefully stahl has improved the anti-vibe in the ms661. My last 395xp was 1k even. I like it so much, a got another one for my other hand. It may be old school but there aint nothin’ like the staccato burble that comes out of a 395xp except maby an old outboard motor. Great saw.

Latest posts

Back