Stihl Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Husky is any worse about pawning off cheap merchandise than Stihl. I worked on an older 017 today, a real POS.

If you are realistic you will see both are guilty.

But what is new, quality brand names have been being prostituted for years. Very few manufacturers build strictly to a quality level as opposed aiming at price points. I attribute some of this to the shift from founders (in many cases engineering types), to MBAs and accountants controlling companies (I like the term marketeers vs marketers).

We all know that each line has it's "diamonds" and it's "dogs". Every manufacturer must produce a full line w/saw for the occasional user up to the commercial cutter. IMO, the key is "Are the low-end saws made w/the same quality features as the pro saws?" Conversely, are the cheaper saws a POS just to meet a price point like Tony says? Some of the homeowner saws are really pretty decent for the money and what they are intended for. Others are not worth the CBS oil you'd put in them. Again, IMO, if a line pays attention to the quality they put into their low-end saws then, chances are that their pro saws will be good as well.
BigCicero, consider this. You need to take that $50 or $100 and multiply it by how many saws you sell per year. If you sell 100 saws per year and take a hit of $100 each... your figure goes up to $10,000 per year. That is 10% (based on your 100K sales example) and I think that is a big deal.
If any dealer can get full retail on a regular basis then, God bless him. It has been my experience that in this day and age, the competition between dealers stacked up like cord wood, (especially Stihl dealers), the box stores and the internet peddlers force dealers to offer products far under full retail. Let me say that I believe a person in business for themselves has a right to turn a profit and no one should expect them not to in order to get a saw at a lower price. Stihl dealers are making 20% profit in todays market? Really? Somehow I find that hard to believe.
Just another opinion.

The only problem with the whole thing about no online sales for Stihl is that it is awfully hard to check prices.

Example,local Stihl/Husky dealer:
395Xp/24" $1009 list, $929 Sale price
066/24" $1099, no sale price.
He knows he has to compete against the net occasionally, and against a few other Husky dealers w/in 50 miles. He also knows he doesn't have to compete the same with Stihl, as none of the Stihl dealers can "advertize" on the net, and most don't want to quote Stihl prices over the phone. If you live in this town and want a Stihl, you pay the going rate.

That was OK until the local Jonsered dealer started selling 2171's for $580, 2095's for $829.

Stihl has it's advantages. For example, I can drop in on my stihl dealer at any time, smack a dirty chainsaw on the counter, and ask him to look at something for me, and he'll do it at no charge. Also, many of the pro models have better power to weight ratio than a similar sized saw of any other brand. I always know parts will be available, and in stock.

Someone quoted a $1099 price on a 066........well I got about the same price, only in Canadian dollars, not US. Plus it was an arctic, which is $50 right there. I could have gotten the heavier 395 XP from a guy I don't like and paid more for it than the 066, but I didn't want to.

It might be differant if you have a not so good stihl dealer or a Husky (or other dealer) that has good service.

This one is for Brian, ( treeclimber 165 ). I commented earlier on the cutting speed of my Shindaiwa 757. Upon setting the speed I used a screwdriver and set the saw to its most power while cutting on a big Red Oak ( try doing that with a FIXED JET saw). Setting the saw at 13,000 rpm it just didn't have the grunt it did at 11,800 rpm. So that is where I left it. I didn't use a tach until I was finished, this way I would have a reference point. Ken Dunn ( Thanx, Ken ) turned me on to setting my saws up by cutting instead of using a tach.:)

Last edited:
I'll be doing that Saturday with my 026, Rich. Got my new carb Wednesday but I have been working too much to mess with it yet. I'm trimming tomorrow so I won't need it.

Seesaw,

I was talking about all of these guys who complain about 50 or 100 bucks savings on a saw. They state that Stihl is out of their minds for getting the price they get for their saws. The fact of the matter is if you spend 30K in my store you are not even 1% of my business. Every commercial customer thinks that they are sooo big and spend sooo much money. When in reality you spend a small fraction of what I spend with any vendor. We will make 20% on our product because we know we need to make that to stay in business. I would encourage the rest of you dealers to consider the same. the only time is you are buying a chipper and want to team some saws up or you spend 30K plus per year.

The difference is not that Stihl is out of their mind but the difference is that they will not let their product be sold online. This is a reputable way to do business. Both Stihl and Husqvarna made their name through the independent dealer. Stihl respects that relationship while Husq is willing to be Judas Escariot. They used the independent dealer to establish their name and them and then bastardize their equipment throuh the mass merchant. You buy from Alamia because you already know what you want. Because an independent dealer sold you or your boss or your friend a saw that impressed you. So go ahead and give you hard earned money to someone who was not willling to work just hard. Alamia and SW fasteners or whoever. But dont blame a manufacturer who respects the girl who brought them to the dance and will dance with them. I guess some manufacturers have business ethics and others do not.

Come see me for your next saw. Not much you can do about adjuistable carbs anymore...they are just loosers. Husq, Echo, Stihl have no choice but non-adjustables. The 290 should run forever with little maintenance. To this day it is one of the best dollar for dollar values I have ever sold. That machine had no real mechanical weaknesses. Everything was new. I also appreciate the additional business you have thrown our way. I may not get a chance to say thanks but people talk.

Paul

I always took a liking to Stihl saw also untill they got a bit behind on the AV...... I called my Stihl dealer he said 650.00 out the door for a 440 with 24" and two chains ouch........that's how I started running the Jonsereds I really like the way the feel and run Its really hard to beat the price on the red and black huskies The 2171 can be had for around 550.00

When is it that Stihl "got a bit behind on the AV..."? Are you talking quality or price?

I bought my first Stihl in 1973, an 031AV $200 new, and I am still using it today with few repairs except rubber parts done in by the 15% ethanol fuel sold as "regular" now days, and one starter spring that broke an end last week (and I was able to bend a new hook on the end and put it back together). I'd say that's not bad for 35 years of moderate use. I also have several 015's I've bought used in recent years for their ease of handling for an old codger, and have had to do a little more work on them because of their previous hard use, but aside from replacing the 1/4" chains, sprockets, and bars with 3/8" items, the repairs have been minor there too.

I like the features of the new saws like the side tension adjustments, but it is hard to fault the simplicity and rugged design of the old ones or come up with the price of the new ones.

holy necrophillic post, Philo.

I don't understand the reason for your comment, nmurph, but it did remind me of the story of the Frenchman hauled before the Judge charged with necrophilia who said in his defense, "I didn't know she was dead, your honor, I thought she was English."

Latest posts

Back