Stihl RSC VS RSC3 Shootout..place your bets!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive got the rsc and rsc3 in 24" loops and i wouldnt bet one against the other.

rsc3 doesnt look as cool. they you have it the rsc just looks cool.

How 'bout RSC vs. RSK?

I'll save the RMC chains for my grandson't first saw!

RSC has kickback reducing (ramped) rakers, RSK does not - but there are other differenses as well, making the RSC much smoother to cut with (never used one, but it is pretty obvious to me anyway).

Well, I did the tests. MS460 dual port, new oregon pro plus 20" bar, brand new loop of RSC vs RSC3. Results?
First off, times weren't super accurate, as I forgot to bring a stop-watch.
The log was Dougie fir 16" across.
Straight cuts....near to even as matters.
Bore cut...the RSC3 didn't seem as fast, but the watch said they were closer than they felt, less than a full second difference.
I bet it wouldn't take more than one filing of the rakers to slow it down some though. The raker now sticks up just proud of the hump. If they were both riding the cut, it would probably add a little drag....time will tell, i suppose.

I'm curious

I don't have a clue how it will come out, but I've got a couple of loops of the RSC3 in my box and would like to know what to expect out of it.

The RSC3 is of course heavier, so you may loose a milli-second even before the cut itself starts.........:jawdrop:

They don't sell them here, so I really don't care to test them (RSC3/RMC3 that is).

Last edited:
Well, I did the tests. MS460 dual port, new oregon pro plus 20" bar, brand new loop of RSC vs RSC3. Results?
First off, times weren't super accurate, as I forgot to bring a stop-watch.
The log was Dougie fir 16" across.
Straight cuts....near to even as matters.
Bore cut...the RSC3 didn't seem as fast, but the watch said they were closer than they felt, less than a full second difference.
I bet it wouldn't take more than one filing of the rakers to slow it down some though. The raker now sticks up just proud of the hump. If they were both riding the cut, it would probably add a little drag....time will tell, i suppose.

There could be a test bias here. If you are looking for a specific result and design the experiment to create that result, you will get it. Not bringing a stopwatch, using softwood with a high-powered saw, and not having an unbiased third party do the timing are the first red flags.

I have had much different results with big hardwood. 16" softwood is childs play for a MS460. Get yourself some 20" oak and try doing it with some actual times to the .00 second. According to my numbers, RSC3 will take 15%-20% longer out of the box, although I did that test with a 65cc saw (365 Special) which has a lot less power to drag those humps through than a MS460.

Last edited:
Yes, it probably have made more of a difference with a longer bar, bigger wood, or a less powerful saw. Of course we introduce bias without a well designed test, but my bias would have been for the RSC.
Because of snow, I couldn't get up the hill to get bigger wood, so I was cutting seasoned rounds. Seasoned Douglas fir is a softwood in name only.
I still have one loop of each chain that hasn't been used yet, so maybe I'll try putting the bar on my 024 super. That is too much bar for that saw, but a couple of runs shouldn't hurt it. Probably take me a few days to get it done.

Back