Stihl switch shaft removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold B

Reaction score
On the Stihl MS440 and similar, how do you remove the switch shaft from the switch housing? All other aspects are straight forward, but I can't see any release mechanism, and prying will break the plastic housing. Thanks!!

On the Stihl MS440 and similar, how do you remove the switch shaft from the switch housing? All other aspects are straight forward, but I can't see any release mechanism, and prying will break the plastic housing. Thanks!!
Good morning Harold and welcome to the forum.
On the right side of the switch shaft (looking from the rear) the shaft is surrounded by plastic and is the pivot point. On the left side, the shaft should be pressed into what I call the cradle. Simply pry up on the shaft at that point, popping the shaft out of the cradle. Be careful as there is a spring on the right side behind the grounding slide. Post some pics if you can. Hope this helps. :cool: OT

Good morning Harold and welcome to the forum.
On the right side of the switch shaft (looking from the rear) the shaft is surrounded by plastic and is the pivot point. On the left side, the shaft should be pressed into what I call the cradle. Simply pry up on the shaft at that point, popping the shaft out of the cradle. Be careful as there is a spring on the right side behind the grounding slide. Post some pics if you can. Hope this helps. :cool: OT

Thanks for the thoughts Oletrapper!
I opened things back up, but left the trigger mechanism together for the pic. popping the Switch shaft loose is easy, but removing it from the switch shaft on the right is my problem. There is a pin as part of the shaft on the right end that is not spring loaded, and it fits in a socket on the switch shaft, but there is no side to side slop. Is there a way to open the switch housing, or another trick to get the old shaft out, then the new one back into the housing?? Thanks for any thoughts!! HB

Attachments

• 20240616_161913.jpg
    20240616_161913.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back