Stihls With Red Master Control Lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94BULLITT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why do some Stihls have a red master control lever? I have heard the saws with the red switch are old but I don't think that is true. I have a 1986 024S and 1988 034S and they have a black lever.

I am Not sure I know the answer, but I have an Older Model 038 which had a red lever, I recently ordered a replacement by the same part number and it was black. It fit perfectly and worked fine.

I think they were used mostly in the early 90's. I have an 044 and an 064 with red levers, and had an 026 that had one.
I'm thinking they were early 90's saws too. I have an 026 and 036 with red levers.

That theory doesn’t hold true as 029 is not a pro saw as I have see 029 with red switch levers as stated beforehand. There are other observations/ theories that people have said how to tell a pro Stihl from others. Colour of rear handle being one of them.

MY family been in logging industry over life time the red swiches on pro saws the home owner saw they where black back in the day thats why the sthils with the red swiches are strongly looked for
I have an 026 with a red lever and an 026 with a black lever. I also have a pair of 066’s with one having a red lever and the other not.

So you’d say one is a pro saw and the other is not ?

a red lever on a stihl means about the same as seeing a "M" badge on a bmw, anyone can put in on and bmw themselves diluted the M brand by using it on reg models with a few m like upgrades, but were not a true m model

The red levers on my own Stihl saws are on models from before 1995, I have red levers on 026`s,044`early flat top 066 and the red lever had nothing to do with denoting whether a saw with one was a PRO saw. I have the same saws in numbers that have black lever masterswitch on them. When someone says the saw with red switches/levers run better than those with black switches/levers there may be and only a may be different piston and cylinder on said saw that had better porting numbers, usually the earlier the saw was built the better the porting was on them before the EPA regulated them into a downgrade. Smaller exhaust ports along with timing number changes coupled with choked down outlets on the muffler make the later saws seem a bit more anemic.

I have wondered about this before, my 044 and 064 have red levers. (the 026s from around 2000 don't, and neither does
the 034 I just bought), but I too think the color doesn't have a specific meaning. The 044 and 064 are from the beginning of the 90s, so that seems to confirm what @pioneerguy600 said.
The red lever on my 064 is bust, the part that puts the throttle switch in high idle has broken off. Ordered a new OEM one, it's black. So, in case a lever was at some point replaced, that probably makes things more confusing.

MY family been in logging industry over life time the red swiches on pro saws the home owner saw they where black back in the day thats why the sthils with the red swiches are strongly looked for

Jesus..

This is how people end up with bad information.

That isn't true at all.

That theory doesn’t hold true as 029 is not a pro saw as I have see 029 with red switch levers as stated beforehand. There are other observations/ theories that people have said how to tell a pro Stihl from others. Colour of rear handle being one of them.

Even handle colors with the new saws are going out the window as far as determining if they are a pro saw or not, the new stihl saws all have the same color orientation on the handle. I'll agree that some of stihls nomenclature for determining what you have is confusing..I'm not sure why they do certain things they do..

Back