The Perfect Gas Can…

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can squarely put the blame on the new 'spill proof' gas cans that spill everywhere on the book smart, practical dumb idiots at the EPA. IMO, all are crap, no matter what they cost.

I keep my gas in metal Jerry cans.

For me, Kalifornia is a foreign country.... You are probably correct however.
I travel to CA several times a month and it very much feels like visiting a foreign country . And that's from someone who grew up there. The feeling is especially profound if I visit any of the cities. Like something right out of a dystopian sci-fi.

I don't blame the attorneys for going after business, so much as I blame the judges for not dismissing frivolous lawsuits and making the one suing for stupid things pay the legal fees of the one defending themselves. Put a stop to all that overnight.

such a shame. I grew up on the Oregon coast. made many trips to california in my 20's. was such a great place. esp northern calif and the Mt Shasta area. hoping that part is still ok. I've lived in the south for 45 years now between Texas and Florida. as beautiful as the PNW is, I won't be moving back. Florida is one of the few free state left.

My problem with that kind of spout is the impossibility of adding fuel to any common car with it. Those dinky spouts and the angle they are mounted on the can make it impossible to use on a vertical gas cap cover going horizontally into a vehicle.

My answer to that problem:
1726855953249.png

Now you can argue with me 'til you are blue in the face, but this expensive safety can beats your little plastic can for several key points.

1. It is fireproof. Unless you put it in a big fire until it reaches a BLEVY temperature, this can won't add to a fire, and will burn off any exterior spilled gas and go out. Yours will melt and release all the gas within.
2. It doesn't form any condensation, despite being metal. The springs on the stoppers are so stiff, it holds atmospheric pressure. Side effect: on a hot day, it does burp rather prominently when you pull the pour lever.
It has no daily air exchange, and consequently no condensation.
3. It is a nice easy job to add fuel to any vehicle or small hand-held device. Trickling gas is just as easy as the can you prefer, and it probably pours out 5 gallons faster.
4. Unlike your plastic can, there are still safety features present when filling the can. There is an explosion-proof screen on the filler neck, and if something did cause a fire, jerking out the pump's nozzle instantly seals the can.

Yeah, they are damned expensive, though. My POS personal vehicle has a fuel gauge that won't work, despite all kinds of electronic wizardry having been attempted to fix it. So I just set the odometer each time I fill, and I remember when the last available mile is going to happen. That splendid safety can sits in the back of the SUV and doesn't stink up the vehicle with gas fumes, although it did get turned upside down once and the lever was pressed enough against other junk until it did leak a little fuel.

Perhaps the Jerry cans will survive the upside-down on the fuel spout treatment, but I know anything with a pushbutton on the top will be subject to opening if it is upside-down with the weight on the button.

Nope! You cannot see how much fuel is in this can, regardless of what you do. Picking it up and shaking it is the only way to evaluate the remaining fuel. Plastic can wins on that point.

Unearthed the 1 1/2 gallon jug today View attachment 1166273need to find a liter soda cap for the vent

Those cans are horrible. With that round base, they fall over quickly and spill all your gas. Especially since most all of them have lost the caps.

Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! Throw in the trash immediately, I've paid for more spilled gas by my employees than a decent replacement can would have cost.

Still... They keep showing up.
Madness Wow GIF by First We Feast

Back