The smells of modified muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I just picked up a new 372 from madsens and had them powertune it. When I got I imediately went to work on the muffler cutting out a hole in the lower front part of the muffler where the mounting bracket is at. I got my hole cut out put a screen in and took it to the woods the next day. I cut up a few limbs with it and played around with it for a about 1/2 hour, then I decided to dive into some popular we were cutting. When I burried that saw in against the tree I realized quickly that I was going to need some earplugs my gosh the sound of that muffler bouncing off that tree was making my ears ring! However, after I got the earplugs in and started cutting several different species of trees I noticed a variety of smells which was produced from the ring my muffler was burning around the trees. It seemed to me that most of the popular I cut smelled like chinese food and the patch of hickory I got into later that day smelled like cat Pi$$ real strong cat pi$$. Anyway I am so happy with my new 372, it runs so smooth and has plenty of torque more than I expexted. I have ran 046's now for over four years and now I am looking to sell my other 046 and get another new 372. I will never run another stock saw again. Take care Wade Huggins

congrats on you new saw! you aint seen nothin yet - when you get your next saw have Dennis Greffard or Ken Dunn tune it for you (theyll do the muffler for you too very nicely) then youll really be up and running! the saws start easier, run better, cut so much faster compared to stock etc. you just cant lose with one of these guys tuning your saw.:blob2:

Why not power tune your 046? Comparing a stock saw to a power tuned saw is not a justified comparison, in my opinion. I see lots of guys here comparing modified Huskies to stock Stihls, bragging on the power. But the guys with power tuned Stihls just laugh quietly under their breath at the Huskies, modified OR stock.

well Brian its because the Stihl cost so much more that you can have it powertuned for the same proce as a stock stihl. And yes you can powertune Stihls also - just can t get the same degree of power gains from them on average - i dont want to misquote but im sure Ken mentioned once before that he can pull about a 40% increase from a 385xp....

- hmmm.. i wonder who it is laughing :D :D :D :D
probably another stihl man who has got a good saw now.

I am not makng a comparison. I do all my business with Madsens, so I cant buy a new stihl from them. All the local dealers in my area are real jerks and I question sometimes wether or not they could change out a sprocket. I get no hassles from Madsens they know what I need they help me out if they think there is a cheaper or better way. Also I bought that 372 powertuned for 593.00 which is about 100.00 dollars cheaper than I can get a new 046 for anywhere around here. After running the 372 all last week I really like the balance a little better as well. Take care Wade

Tundraotto ,
We are about to find out how the stihl holds up to a husky.
I have a 066 with Dennis being messaged, going to see how it compares with a KD 385 I know theirs a slight difference in cc but its close enough.
time will tell

Woodsjunkie,
I had talked to ken about the 385's a few weeks ago. He told me that they were getting upwards of 45% powergains out of them. Thats amazing to me, I remeber reading on here sometime ago I am not sure if it was Ken or Den who said it that they could only get upwards of 30% out of a stihl. Something to do with with Husky sporting a bigger transfer area than stihl does. Anyway you said earlier that you were going to the Paul Bunyon show in Oct. Will you be entered in any of the competitions? Maybe we can hook up and have a cold drink somehere. Take care Wade

Wade,
Yes Ken is claming to get upwards towered 50% gains out of the 385. I would have went with the 385 but the husky dealers around my area suck !!!!!!!! so I decided to go back to running stihl saws (supper good dealer close)
Yes I will be at the Paul Bunyon show.
I don't think I will be competing just a spectator.
Sure thing on the cold one I will drop ya a line when it gets closer
Eric

P.S I believe Dennis can get 35-40% more out of a 066 also

Eric,
That sounds great just give me a holler. The comparison between the two will be interesting. Stihl and Husky are great saws at the top of their game. Stihl's are all I have ever ran. The first saw I ever remeber lugging around for my dad when I was old enough to go to the woods was an 056. I have fond memeories of that. Take care Wade Huggins

Anyone else who's tired of the single track mind of tundraotto, do what i'm about to do, add him to your ignore list, don't bother trying to fight 'otto I can't hear you!

vs

066 vs 385 stock, 385G vs 385KD,066G vs 066KD, how about 385Varney vs 385Cahoon,066Daun vs 066Cahoon and on, its all about the $$$$.
fraye.gif

Last edited:
Back