the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far the only difference between my mag 1 and mag 2 is the air filter. Left is mag 1 right is mag 2. Mag 2 has a less restricted filter, but that’s about it. I think it’s just a marketing trick Stihl pulled then later on added the triple port muffler so people can be happy with their purchase. I think it’s the same for 056 mag 1 and mag 2. Correct me if I’m wrong and I hope you do.

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    2.9 MB
My mag 1 got nothing inside either just the mesh. It’s the older style for sure cuz my 045 has the same mesh filter with nothing inside either.

My 066 came with a mesh filter. Didn't know it at the time.

It had fines inside after the first tank of gas. I purchased the HD filter and no more crap inside since.

Your 066 filter has fine mesh like my mag 1 or less restricted mesh like my mag 2?
A fine mesh. I suspect your other filter was a flocked one without the flocking material.

The HD air filter on the 066 is far better at filtering. I'll lose a little performance but the saw will last longer.

The filters on the 038 are not great but work if you keep them clean. I hand clean them with dish detergent

Your MagII filter has all the flocking missing, what is left is the mesh wire frame that once held the flocking material.

^ This

Latest posts

Back