Thoughts on Chinese parts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bludenz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Possibly going to have a project saw that will need a piston at the minimum.

Thoughts on using chinese/aftermarket parts for piston/cylinder? Additionally, how well do aftermarket plastics hold up (starter cover). Piston/cylinder is rather expensive for OEM, but aftermarket is fairly affordable. Any one had really good/bad experience with aftermarket parts?

Saw would be a 661c for reference.

Thanks in advance.

really depends on what you want out of the saw. Do you want the best performance period? well than your gonna have to go all OEM. Do you want it as cheap as possible? Than all AM/china parts is what you want.

If your lucky you can fall somewhere in between and clean up the OEM cylinder and use a AM piston like Metoer or The Dukes.

You get what you pay for, the only time I use aftermarket is when parts are NLA and you can't find them. Beware of chinese engine parts and starters !! In the last year I have been forced to use a couple after market, non meteor pistons and they required work to modify their windows to closely match oem and even the skirt cut outs for transfers needed to be straightened and beveled. Plastic covers seem to fit about 85% of the time-- 15% require trimming or simply sit or fit funny but they all are thinner and feel cheaply made. If you buy aftermarket drop the piston in the cylinder without rings, it should not crash into the head but instead create a pillow of air pressure then lightly tap (orient it correctly), It also not should it hang on any ports when moved around by hand.

Thanks for your advice guys. I think I'll take the route with OEM engine stuff and important stuff that sees a lot of use. I guess small things that aren't as "important" can be chinese/aftermarket items. Any advice on cleaning up cylinders if I need to? I've heard they have a special coating so they can't really be honed. I've heard ball hones can be used very lightly if needed.

The cylinders are nikasil and are very hard and durable which is why they sometime survive with only needed to be cleaned up. I wouldn't remember using a ball hone as you can oval the ports.

Latest posts

Back