Three Asplundh Workers Shot in NC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LW. The article says, Authorities did not release any possible motives in the case but the Yancey County Sheriff's Office and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation confirmed that they are conducting a thorough investigation into the incident.

LW. The article says, Authorities did not release any possible motives in the case but the Yancey County Sheriff's Office and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation confirmed that they are conducting a thorough investigation into the incident.
Odd that's all we are getting, they prob don't even know, yet I suppose.

They aren't saying what the motive was?

The workers were either trimming or removing trees on the shooters property either near or in the power company's right of way.

These crews are low paid employees with a very high turn over rate.

That's not a good rational for shooting them though and the property owner is going to be sorry for the rest of his life for his actions.

There's still the possibility that the crew physically threatened the property owner and he was acting in self defense on his own property.

When the police showed up the property owner should have 'stood down' immediately, which he must not have done and lead to the police shooting him. So he's an idiot for sure.

No new update, but new info

According to YCSO, Murphy was on trial in 2021 for a violent case allegedly against his own brother, Joshua Murphy. He was charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon, with intent to kill, inflicting serious injury in front of a Yancey County jury.
On Dec. 1, 2021, Murphy was found guilty of the lesser offense by the jury of misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon. He was given the maximum sentence possible for the charge, which was 150 days in custody, officials said.
The investigation is ongoing by the Yancey County Sheriff's Office and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.
No other information has been released at this time.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/shooting-3-people-charges-yancey-north-carolina/61702540

Did you guys see this?

3 tree workers shot while clearing way for power company before suspect shot by cops during arrest

The conditions of the three workers who were shot are currently unknown.
ByJon Haworth
Video byJessie DiMartino and Cristina Corujo
July 25, 2024, 1:34 AM

With the way the utility companies' contract and direct workers operate, including trespassing and jumping gates, it's really no wonder.

I don't know the details of this story, but any unannounced visitor under normal conditions is suspect and open game.

With the way the utility companies' contract and direct workers operate, including trespassing and jumping gates, it's really no wonder.

I don't know the details of this story, but any unannounced visitor under normal conditions is suspect and open game.

I've seen them cut locks and remove fences when they were in site of a land owners house.
They even cut one of my locks and really no reason other than some are very weak in the upstairs area.

But usually no reason to lay the lead on them.
I've noticed that ticks, snakes and chiggers that like to chew on me avoid them.

I've seen them cut locks and remove fences when they were in site of a land owners house.
They even cut one of my locks and really no reason other than some are very weak in the upstairs area.

But usually no reason to lay the lead on them.
I've noticed that ticks, snakes and chiggers that like to chew on me avoid them.

Does this mean that you only shoot at them occasionally? :crazy2:

The last two times the contractors that clear the lines on my property in WV, a company out of PA, called and “asked” my permission, and I live in MD. So, they actually went out of their way to make contact. The previous 50 years we’ve owned the property, one day we would go up, and there would be slash laying on the ground under the wires. No contact.

The last two times the contractors that clear the lines on my property in WV, a company out of PA, called and “asked” my permission, and I live in MD. So, they actually went out of their way to make contact. The previous 50 years we’ve owned the property, one day we would go up, and there would be slash laying on the ground under the wires. No contact.
So, I'm wondering, does a utility company have to get the property owners permission to install/run lines across their property and doesn't the utility company have a right of way under their lines?

When they clear a path for the lines do they just cut, or are they required to clean up the mess after?

So, I'm wondering, does a utility company have to get the property owners permission to install/run lines across their property and doesn't the utility company have a right of way under their lines?

When they clear a path for the lines do they just cut, or are they required to clean up the mess after?
Depends on each specific contract/locality.

Here, even with right of way, PGE has a list of protocols to follow. Needless to say, it's rare any of those protocols are followed.

I think they have the right and obligation to keep the lines clear. In years past they cleared them by helicopter, at my place. As far as installation, at least residential, or farm, I would think they would have to follow right of ways. When they put our two poles in they came back a mile and a half to our property, on a washed out dirt road. We had to put in the last pole with the meter on it. The last time they cleared my lines they used an extendable circular saw on an all wheel drive boom to clear the wires. Then they ran a Forestry Mulcher over all the under growth. The first year the mulch was too big to run my JD X738 over. By the second year it had settled and matted down enough I could mow with the deck all the way up. I think that's 5 inches.

Latest posts

Back