Stihl 032av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerchristenson_17@yahoo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to get a 16in bar and chain for my 032 av chainsaw I just got. Can you help me find which one to buy? It didn't come with a bar or chain. I don't want to wreck the sprocket. I am just cutting small trees and limbs, cheaper the better!

Oregon powercut 160RNDD025 and 72EXL060 chain. That saw should be 3/8” sprocket, but make sure.

Ebay it and pick a bar that says stihl large mount, 3/8 x.050. Chain should be 60 link. Quality cheaper bars would be forrester, oregon, if you dont care, then holzforma, 8ten, archer.

Oregon powercut 160RNDD025 and 72EXL060 chain. That saw should be 3/8” sprocket, but make sure.

Ebay it and pick a bar that says stihl large mount, 3/8 x.050. Chain should be 60 link. Quality cheaper bars would be forrester, oregon, if you dont care, then holzforma, 8ten, archer.
How do I make sure it's a 3/8 sprocket? 1725720628934.png

I want to get a 16in bar and chain for my 032 av chainsaw I just got. Can you help me find which one to buy? It didn't come with a bar or chain. I don't want to wreck the sprocket. I am just cutting small trees and limbs, cheaper the better!
This is the bar that came off it.

A stihl large mount is an 025 mount in oregon bar lingo. The rest of the numbers define the model and the length and what chain to pair with it. The 160 is 16” .050, a 180 would be 18” .050 and a 280 would be 28” .050 and so on. So, if you buy an oregon 160RNDD025 bar, it is 16” long, the 0 means .050 wide groove, powercut model, stihl large mount (025). Your sprocket should say 3/8 or .325, or something. Most likely 3/8. It can get more confusing on the width of the groove and a stupid number of chain styles to choose from. Here’s a checklist.

1. Check sprocket. We will assume its 3/8 (.375) for this. This strictly pertains to your chain not your bar.
2. Pick out a 16” large stihl mount bar with .050 groove, literally the most important specs. Many different styles like roller tip, solid nose…
3. Any chain that is 3/8 x .050 x 60 link (for 16” bar) will fit your sprocket and bar.

The examples i gave you are good quality that i run personally. Great chisel chain and bar. Probably last you forever as long as your saw oils correctly and you don’t go diggin dirt with it. There are much higher and much lower quality out there as well. Just trying to keep it simple for ya.

i am thinking the sprocket is inside and the clutch is blocking you from seeing much of it. I would say the sprocket is 3/8 given the bar that was on it. That saw would have run 3/8x.050 chain straight from the factory.

Back