Tight cable dog run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chud_Thud

Reaction score
About 15 years ago my dad installed a twisted metal cable dog run between 2 trees using chain and strap at either end and clamped the cable to itself on either end. It has gotten concerningly tight and I'm curious as to the best safest way to get it down.

About 15 years ago my dad installed a twisted metal cable dog run between 2 trees using chain and strap at either end and clamped the cable to itself on either end. It has gotten concerningly tight and I'm curious as to the best safest way to get it down.
Put blankets or something over it to keep it from whipping into to you when you cut it, and keep your self as far away from the trajectory as possible and cut it. Can you hide behind the tree, a little?

Thank you all for the suggestions, I apologize for not attaching pictures I thought my description was good, I am going to drape some old rugs and blankets over it and hide behind the tree with an angle grinder and cut the chain holding the wire

Thank you all for the suggestions, I apologize for not attaching pictures I thought my description was good, I am going to drape some old rugs and blankets over it and hide behind the tree with an angle grinder and cut the chain holding the wire
If you have a full coverage motorcycle helmet, add it to the mix.

I'm imagining the scenario, if I've got it right, perhaps you could stand behind one of the trees with the cable going towards the second tree.

Cut the cable/chain with a cutting wheel. When it releases, the cable will snap toward the second tree (away from you..). You are out of harms way, being behind the first tree.

Rich

Latest posts

Back