Timberwolf TWP1 hydraulic filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OakWD5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all recently bought a well used PW1. I'm currently in the process of performing some regular maintenance so that I can start close to new and keep track of usage. I have arrived at some trouble while trying to replace the hydraulic filter. I believe the machine to be an "02" and it has a external Donaldson return in line filter just off the valve and control handle post. While trying to remove with an adjustable filter wrench the filter was punctured by the wrench and then I tried to use a screw driver as well. At this point I am asking for an input or advice for this fix.
image.jpg

Will give that a try. The filter is on there real tight. So much for the previous owner just hand tightening it. Thank you for the advice.

Very good thank you. I'm also having trouble with the splitter stalling out. It will happen after the ram has auto returned with no load or shortly after the push plate makes contact with the wood. After the stall the motor will start and run sometimes rough but the ram will continue back if was on auto return. If it was on load it will stall after pushing the ram a few inches into the wood. I have recently replaced the air filter, spark plug, drained old fuel, fuel filter, carb, fuel line, throttle springs, and muffler. Just waiting on a new hydra filter to see if the problem is fixed. If not I guessing the only things left would be the pump or the valve correct?

Very good thank you. I'm also having trouble with the splitter stalling out. It will happen after the ram has auto returned with no load or shortly after the push plate makes contact with the wood. After the stall the motor will start and run sometimes rough but the ram will continue back if was on auto return. If it was on load it will stall after pushing the ram a few inches into the wood. I have recently replaced the air filter, spark plug, drained old fuel, fuel filter, carb, fuel line, throttle springs, and muffler. Just waiting on a new hydra filter to see if the problem is fixed. If not I guessing the only things left would be the pump or the valve correct?
Even at full throttle?

Yes at full throttle this is taking place. Thanks to all for input on the hydraulic filter got it off this morning. Are there any signs other then a pressure test to see if the pump is not performing correctly?

The filter was probably the original. The biggest thing I see with these machines is hardly anybody changes the fluid. By running the machine you heatup the fluid and then it cools down and creates MOISTURE This creates rust and corrision in your valve, pump and cylinder Use # aw46 hydraulicfluid and chane it. That's what was in the machine from the factory. If the filter was clogged that could cause the problem your having with the machine shutting down under load (you should be able to see the garbage in the filter with it cut open). But it sounds like the pump is not switching from high to low correctly also if you could post a picture of the suction line coming out of the tank there might be a screen that needs cleaned when you drain the fluid from the tank. Be sure not to overfill the tank with fluid or you will push fluid out the breather (just makes a mess won't hurt anything) keep it down 2-3" from the top of the tank. Where are you located at??

Thank you. I will hopefully get some time tomorrow to drain the fluid and updated pics. I am in central NJ. I called TImberwolf last week and asked about the problem. They were helpful but still tough to get an exact diagnosis over the phone. They did say it could be the pump. This my first splitter so my experience and knowledge is limited.

Finally tracked down a filter today and it will be in tomorrow afternoon. Took a few pics of the splitter tank and here they are.
image.jpg image.jpg

Finally got everything finished up and back together today. Ran about a half cord through it. All the time, frustration and work definitely paid off! Thank you again to all who offered advice and insight.

Finally got everything finished up and back together today. Ran about a half cord through it. All the time, frustration and work definitely paid off! Thank you again to all who offered advice and insight.
what was the problem

It was a combination of a lack of proper maintenance (clogged hydro filter, old hydro fluid, old spark plug, and carb that was taken apart with not all the parts making it back in by PO). I was afraid of the worse case scenario that the pump was shot and that wasn't an issue. Will have some more time tomorrow afternoon to give the splitter a true work out on the better part of a cord of ash and oak. Thanks again!
image.jpg

Back