Time for a new saw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would stay with the 029. I have no problems with the 029.
I would put my money into new chain or sharpening equipment or paying to have some one else sharpen it. Nothing frustrates me more than a dull chain.... ok, maybe a chainsaw that won't start.

time

Yes I do a few. The biggest thing I try to do is get everything out of the way of whatever I am trying to repair.
One of the guys tried to remove the oil pump with the handle only loosened. You can do it in half the time by taking off the handle completely.
It isn't that I do more of them, I just look for the easiest way to do it, which is usually the quickest. I find it no tougher than the 141 I just did.

Dolmar PS-540 :) There are other good saws in the world besides Stihl & Husky. Dare to be different!!! Lord knows I am.
Dealer support just isn't as widespread with Dolmar.

Well I'm still not sure what I am going to do. If I do keep my 029
what could I do to it to try and squeeze a little more out of it? I have alredy modded the muffler and saw is in top running condition. Thanks for all the posts!!!!!!

Getting rid of a saw, sell it on e-bay, people will buy anything!! I saw an 066 just recently go for 250. It was only missing a "few" parts like : piston, cylinder, air filter, AF cover, and "a few other misc parts" It also looked like it had sat out in a back yard for about 2 years, faded worse than I've ever seen a stihl faded.
I just know people are sitting around the house saying should I just throw this old piece of junk in the trash??....No way, I have a digital camera and an internet connection, I'll get a few hundered bucks out of it on E-bay!
Greg

HEY go check out the 650 Solo with an 18 inch bar , case file and other extra goodies....$299.95..
3.3 stock horse power...quality German engineering.and the longest warranty in the Biz!..might be the most saw 300 bucks will buy!(new)......and will last longer than a souped up saw, as long as ya dont drop a tree on it!
then ya got 25 bucks left to buy a case a beer!

Or........ya might check out BWalkers 036....them are fine saws if it in any shape!

Dagger, i got that deal beat. I can get a jonsered 2149 for $345 minus $100 for a junk saw I trade in. JOnsered while take any saw on this trade deal runing, not running, electric, whatever.

When I was looking into a new saw in that range, I was comparing the Stihl 360 and the Husky 357xp. Both are very comparable in just about everything, including price. The local Stihl dealer said the Husky is a "???? good saw" and the Husky dealer said the Stihl is a "really good saw." I ended up getting the 357 w/a 20" bar just because it felt a little better in my hand than the Stihl. Unfortunately they dont allow for demos of saws around here. Either saw is more than sufficient for firewood work.

TIME FOR A NEW SAW !!!

Your topic sounded like my situation a few weeks ago.

I felt as if I only had $325 to spend on a saw.

In short time, I had $800 to spend on a saw.

What do you want? I mean really want?

Is the 18" bar perfect? Or the minimum you can get by with?

Often, we have looked around the house for a 1/2 dozen $30 dollar items we do not need. Then we placed several $4 ads in the "Thrifty section" of our newpaper all for one weekend. This generates a quick flow of extra cash and makes more room. This is just one way of my own technique.

The point is - do you need 18", or could you use more if you had more.

If you need more, sometimes its worth matching the number of suggestions for saws to buy, for suggestions on how to scrape together quick cash.

I ended up getting a Husqvarna 385XP for near $750 a few weeks ago, when a few weeks before that, I thought I could only afford a smaller saw.

In my case I already have small and medium saws. So I can easily put the big saw to use.

Anyway, enjoy your shopping.

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist

www.mdvaden.com

M.D. Vaden - Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon:blob2:

Back