Tomatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad loved the Beefsteaks and was looking for one that was a deep purple color. And my Aunt has a real thing for a good fried green tomato. We go to some restaurants just because they have fried green tomatoes.
I bought the Purple Cherokee this year. They are a purplish-red with a darker top. Very tasty.

Got to have bacon for BLTs
1 bacon for santa.png

I remember growing tomatoes back in the late 60"s and early 70's and using both methods of supporting tomatoe plants. Originaly, we used the trellis system. We would set tall fence post at each end of the rows and a few more along the rows. we used a large rolls of wire to string along the top of the post and then tie the plants to the wire. The packing house was a co-op setup for the loacal farmers. My wifes dad was actually the one the got the co-op up and running. They even had a large pressure cooker available and would allow people to use it to can large volumes of tomatoes. Back then everybody grew indeterminate tomatoes and the packing house ran all summer. Later, everybody started growing the determinate types and thats when they went to the weave. I had never heard it called a florida weave until someone on this site posted something about it on this site. Makes me wonder where the weave actually originated. I can testify it was being used at least 60 years abo in NC, dont know how long it has been used in Florida.

On another note, I remember Edistos post driving, and also his golfball dimple intake ports on chainsaws. I think all the flack he caught over the fence post is why he left this site. That and his political views.

I remember growing tomatoes back in the late 60"s and early 70's and using both methods of supporting tomatoe plants. Originaly, we used the trellis system. We would set tall fence post at each end of the rows and a few more along the rows. we used a large rolls of wire to string along the top of the post and then tie the plants to the wire. The packing house was a co-op setup for the loacal farmers. My wifes dad was actually the one the got the co-op up and running. They even had a large pressure cooker available and would allow people to use it to can large volumes of tomatoes. Back then everybody grew indeterminate tomatoes and the packing house ran all summer. Later, everybody started growing the determinate types and thats when they went to the weave. I had never heard it called a florida weave until someone on this site posted something about it on this site. Makes me wonder where the weave actually originated. I can testify it was being used at least 60 years abo in NC, dont know how long it has been used in Florida.

On another note, I remember Edistos post driving, and also his golfball dimple intake ports on chainsaws. I think all the flack he caught over the fence post is why he left this site. That and his political views.
I think someone doxed him and threatened his job.

Back