used homelites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
a question . in my roaming ,i run accross some really cheap homelites etc.almost always ,just neglected. 30 -50 is about average. surely there worth that much. any input welcome. just thinking of ways to generate extra income. im just prejudiced against the green pioulans even tho they may be a notch above the homelites . i dont know. like i say opinions welcome.

First, you need to know about what each saw sold for new. A good running used saw (homeowner variety) will usually fetch about 1/2 of what it sold for new. If these $30-$50 saws sold for $400 new, I could see making money. But if the saw only sold for $119 new, it probably wouldn't be worth more than $50-$60 fixed up.

It depends what model it is. Those little 12-16" mini XLs aren't worth more than $40 in like-new condition. On the other hand, a 750 in good shape is worth around $200-300.

alrite ,i appreciate the advice and info.
the ones i see are almost always in the 36- 42 cc range. id just been seeing them a lot and the old wheels started turning.
well theres always another idea..
kinda wierd isnt it that u can get a saw that works passable for that little amt o money.i say passable but to be honest ive never owned but one homelite ,a super xl, ole blue.heavy but a tough old saw.only other homelite was a blower that i ran 5 minutes at home an realised the linkage was just too flimsy. took it back and told hd ,that thing was gonna make a lot of unsatisfied customers . which is still what i think.thanks again.

I have an old Homelite VI-123 and a Super XL-925. Serious saws with lots of power and quality. Also have a Homelite trimmer and backpack blower that are both about 5 years old. Flimsy and cheap, but they run fine and start on the first pull. Plus, I got them at the dump for free. Textron is still on the labels of these, so I'm not sure of the quality of the new ones.

There's a pawn shop near by that has a blue xl super in good condition, that he's asking $50.00 for.I dont need any more saws,(wife says 6 is too many) but that seems like a fair deal to me.What do you think?

yep if u are going to be cutting fire logs an such ,the blue weighs enough ,that all u need do is just hold it strait.of course when i was young ,i always forced it fast as it would cut.
i consider myself fairly able ,even now.
but, was a time i sold firewood and would run that thing all day every day.
when i think o that i realize what time has taken from me. but heck who knows
if i could get use to it . might still be able to. only question ,why . too many lighter saws that cut just as good ,now days.
kinda hate to say it, cause i really liked my ol blue. but i wouldnt go back to it.
less i was training for a fight or some other hellashush, endurance, strenghth contest.
ps dont guess i need to tell u, but the pawn probably let it go for 35. jmo

A Super XL is only a few more ounzes than a Stihl 029 Farm Boss. Just coming to the homeboy's defence a little. I would rather have a SXL than a Farm Boss.

well never picked up an 029 ,but i know much about the 028s. let me tell u this ols saw i had was plenty much heavier than the 028. think the problem might be my
memory. weird ,i remember getting it from a man in trade for a bull dog ,and also remember getting it from my tire man at the time ,preacher man,for 50 bucks.had to be two different saws im talkin about.
only those over 50 might understand what im talkin. heck most people probably in the 70s for it hapens toum.:)

029 vs. SXL12

You just gotta love the ole' XL12, I only have 3 of them now =(. But if I had the choice I'd use the 029 (MS290) to cut wood all day instead.

Latest posts

Back