Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a good cc saw for milling-I know depends on wood--pretty hard on a saw.

I don't have my Alaskan mill yet but I've been doing lots of reading. Most don't suggest anything below the 90cc saws. Like the others say though you could probably get away with an 80cc if your doing small wood.

When you select your saw and bar size you have to account for the fact you will lose around 8 inches of bar length due to the mill. You are looking for a freight train now a bullet train. That's why I bought my 660...and the fact it's just cool. It isn't pulling the chain as fast as some other saws and it isn't stock made to win races. But you can bury the bar and it's screaming for more.

I have never run a 80cc saw but I'm sure they have los of power and are fun to run. You are just more limited to bar size and keeping in mind you lose that 8 inches of bar. Then if you wanted to go Stihl they don't make a current 80cc saw although I've heard talk they will be soon. So if you are using an older saw for milling think about he wear you are putting on that P&C and all the other parts and replacement on those parts.

Ok gotta drive to my assigned area.

Because it's the truth. Everybody over here cursing over the Poulans they are working on that won't run right. I'm over here running Stihls having fun lol.

I've cursed at my share of stihls, lately a rebuilt 025, rebuilt ms460, 044, 038 magnum. All will not run, rebuilt carburetor or new it doesn't matter.
On another note, I have got to stop using 90wt gear oil as assembly lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've cursed at my share of stihls, lately a rebuilt 025, rebuilt ms460, 044, 038 magnum. All will not run, rebuilt carburetor or new it doesn't matter.
On another note, I have got to stop using 90wt gear oil as assembly lube.

As always just going for another rise out of the Poulan junkies. And I get it every time :)

A Mcculloch super pro 125 or an alpina pro 120 would be perfect but finding one would be a problem.

That would be awesome to mill with a beautiful old McCulloch!

For all those who I keep harassing about Poulans I will add my list of saws. Because currently i realized my stash is a little Poulan heavy lol. It'll all be changing but still.

Stihl ms170
Stihl ms391
Stihl ms660 magnum

Husqvarna 450 Rancher

McCulloch mini Mac 6

Poulan 3400
Poulan 2300
Poulan 68 bow saw
Poulan p3416

Butttt all the Poulans will be going to Kensie soon and I will have a John Deere 40v and a couple Stihl 041's soon :) then the balance will be restored

Latest posts

Back