Vp gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan111

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My father in law swears by the Vp gas for his 2 stroke equipment. How’s the shelf life
on that stuff. I’m willing to pay if it has a better shelf life. He says he hasn’t had any carb
problems since he switched a few years ago,

Should last a long time in the metal can.

I'm hoping they finally make a no-lead version of 100LL AV gas
They do. It's called their "small engine fuel" these days.
https://vpracingfuels.com/collections/sef
The website shows different labels then what I've seen hitting the shelf recently, the cans,can also have a predominantly purple color with "SEF" emblazoned on the top of the can.

VP is my preferred fuel, hands down. Unfortunately I only have one retailer here who carries it. I have LOTS of two cycle power tools. I routinely pick up a chain saw or weed whacker that has been sitting over winter and they will fire right up. I’m sure there have been a few times where the fuel in the saw was over a year old.

Should last a long time in the metal can.

I'm hoping they finally make a no-lead version of 100LL AV gas
They do. Just go to most pumps in NY (premium fuel only, at certain stations), VT, mid-NH, and ME. Ethanol free, lead free, ranging from 89 to 95 octane depending on the brand. Can find the stations on Pure-gas.org

Just FYI - all the stations shown in MA on that site are NOT at the pump. They are power equipment dealers, motorsports dealers, or stores / gas stations / hardware stores selling it in containers.

I go up every so often with a 55 gallon drum, because the communist state I live in can't bear to make a single thing convenient for anyone living here. God forbid you burn gasoline without ethanol in it!!:mad:

Actually to be 100% accurate, there are 3 or 4 pumps in the entire state that sell it ... for about $12 a gallon. It's pure race fuel, not really needed for small engines at 108 and up octane ratings. Up north it's MUCH cheaper. By 60%!

My father in law swears by the Vp gas for his 2 stroke equipment. How’s the shelf life
on that stuff. I’m willing to pay if it has a better shelf life. He says he hasn’t had any carb
problems since he switched a few years ago,

I use VP and if I remember correctly, shelf life is claimed to be ~two years once opened and ~five years unopened. I know that it seems to be fine for over a year as I buy the 5 gallon cans and often times don't use it all in one year. When I was helping my friends with their trees and leaves, I went through ~25 gallons during the summer of 2017. Depending on availability, I buy both the premix and straight.

The John Deere/Stihl dealer that I work at sells up to 55 gallon drums of the Stihl premix...but we have only sold two in the past two years that I know of.

They do. It's called their "small engine fuel" these days.
https://vpracingfuels.com/collections/sef
The website shows different labels then what I've seen hitting the shelf recently, the cans,can also have a predominantly purple color with "SEF" emblazoned on the top of the can.
They do. Just go to most pumps in NY (premium fuel only, at certain stations), VT, mid-NH, and ME. Ethanol free, lead free, ranging from 89 to 95 octane depending on the brand. Can find the stations on Pure-gas.org

Just FYI - all the stations shown in MA on that site are NOT at the pump. They are power equipment dealers, motorsports dealers, or stores / gas stations / hardware stores selling it in containers.

I go up every so often with a 55 gallon drum, because the communist state I live in can't bear to make a single thing convenient for anyone living here. God forbid you burn gasoline without ethanol in it!!

Actually to be 100% accurate, there are 3 or 4 pumps in the entire state that sell it ... for about $12 a gallon. It's pure race fuel, not really needed for small engines at 108 and up octane ratings. Up north it's MUCH cheaper. By 60%!

I meant at the airport. 100LL is only ~$6/gal

Stewarts shops in VT and NY carry non-corn premium close by. It don't last like AV gas does.

Yeah, AV gas is highly refined alkylate. Plus it's low-volume sales compared to mo-gas (regular pump gas), along with the lead additive. Adds up to a BIG price tag.

You can store that stuff in a barrel for over 5 years without issue. Probably wouldn't run it in an aircraft that old, but perfect for small engines and older cars. Would probably still work at year 10!

I run VP SEF 40:1 mix in my “seasonal use” two stroke equipment and vintage chainsaws that don’t see a lot of run time. I keep several gallons of mix and straight gas on hand at all times. Never had a problem even after sitting for several months. Burns clean and the VP mix oil is FD rated full synthetic. I’ve also run VP T4 which is non ethanol 97 octane and near 6% oxygen content in traditional carb and autotune/mtronic chainsaws. Local Tractor Supply sells the SEF and mix oil, also have a local Honda/Yamaha shop that is a VP dealer.

I meant at the airport. 100LL is only ~$6/gal

Stewarts shops in VT and NY carry non-corn premium close by. It don't last like AV gas does.
till they take the lead out, I won't be stopping by any airports for fuel. 1, I go through too much to worry about it during the summer and into fall. 2. I just get canned fuel for seasonal storage. Any of the saws/equipment sitting longer then a few months get drained.

I run VP SEF 40:1 mix in my “seasonal use” two stroke equipment and vintage chainsaws that don’t see a lot of run time. I keep several gallons of mix and straight gas on hand at all times. Never had a problem even after sitting for several months. Burns clean and the VP mix oil is FD rated full synthetic. I’ve also run VP T4 which is non ethanol 97 octane and near 6% oxygen content in traditional carb and autotune/mtronic chainsaws. Local Tractor Supply sells the SEF and mix oil, also have a local Honda/Yamaha shop that is a VP dealer.
Last December lowes has a sale on tru fuel. Oldest can I got was dated late 2022, newest had a mid 2023 date. Stocked up on whatever I thought I may need and still have quite a lot left over. Even sold some to a few guys that don't run through a lot of fuel.

What is the storage life for non-ethanol pump gas? When I get saw gas or small engine gas, the place I go carries only non-ethanol, so I don't have to worry about what is left over in the hose.

Just wondering if I should change out what's left over in the fleet of saws after I get done using them for this year. I rarely have any saw sit over 6 months, and only use non-ethanol.

What is the storage life for non-ethanol pump gas? When I get saw gas or small engine gas, the place I go carries only non-ethanol, so I don't have to worry about what is left over in the hose.

Just wondering if I should change out what's left over in the fleet of saws after I get done using them for this year. I rarely have any saw sit over 6 months, and only use non-ethanol.
I’ve had it in cars and they start right up after a year or so sitting unused.

Latest posts

Back