What is this part for a stihl 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rykirk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I acquired this saw in 2017 for $50. It needs work and cleaning. I came across a plate behind the chain sprocket cover which seems like they pulled it from another saw and put it in this one. The screw which takes it off is missing and it seems the only thing holding it in is the metal under the two bar mount screws. Also this plate covers the white cap partially. Is it me or does something seem off about this. I tried to find the part in the IPL but could not find it.

Also is that stud pin supposed to be on an angle like that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240825_210631_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_210631_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240825_144131.jpg
    20240825_144131.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
That is an alternate version of the inner bar plate that Stihl did not use widely. I don't care for them - bit of a PITA to get off. See these IPL pages.
The bar adjuster pin should not be bent like that. I'm guessing it can be straightened out after you remove the plate so you can remove/diddle the adjuster mechanism.

Attachments

• 044 IPL (dragged).pdf
    233.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks like there is two part num for this. Dang would have been nice just to unscrew this. I guess the only way is to bend those metal flappers out and up

Took the plate off with force using a flat blade screw driver. Got to get underneath by the bar mount screws. I thought the metal flappers were underneath but they're not. Good thing that plate bends a little

The biggest annoyance is the clutch cover from a standard setup doesn’t fit these. Though these bar plates are thicker, more durable and hold your bar captured which is cool, unless I wanted to keep it original I’d suggest you prise it off and install the standard one with screw.

Edit sorry just saw your last post.

Removed the clutch cover aaaand... this. Clogged with dust oil balls in every nook and cranny. Took me quite awhile to clean up using carb cleaner and compressed air got it looking decently clean1000014492.jpg

1000014483.jpg

Back