What kind of chipper to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino

Reaction score
I am looking for some help. I have about 250 acres we own, about 90 forested, about 30 of that is heavy new growth fir 1 on top of the other. These trees are anywhere from 10 to 35' tall. I know I need to thin them and there is not enough wood to bother with excepet for fire wood. Here is the question. What kind of chipper should I get. I looked a DR's and they seem to be ok, I am just afraid they will no do the job in the long run. Do I need a industrial chipper to do the job? I just didn't want to leave a bunch of branches under the canopy for future fire hazards. I am just tring to make a harvestable stand of timber for the future. I plan on leaving the best trees standing about 10' apart. I just looked at a chipper on ebay, it is a used woodchuck made in 84. Is that a good one? All input is welcome.

Chippers.

Why not do the cutting yourself and see if you can get someone in chip what is left. IMHO chippers can be obstinate beasts to keep running properly, and anything you are likely to buy used at a cheap price is priced that way for a reason. And when you are done with it, you have no piece of equipment to sell or gather rust in your yard.

What type of chipper to buy

HI Jumper,
Well I would love to have someone come in and chip up what is left, but I happen to live in a rual part of Washington. NO chippers to rent within a 100 miles. Most companies that have the equipment want an arm and leg just to get here, then charge for the work. Plus I am thining by myself, inbetween, ranching, fencing, getting supplies and I am sure you can imagine the rest. Plus all the companies I've spoke to want all the trees down before they send there people in. For me I am looking at a year long project. I spent 1 hole day and did about 1/4 acre and I was beat at days end. Not young like I use to be. CRAP Oh well! Your idea is taken and I will contuine to look. What do you think of that new DR chipper, the 18 HP model? It is supposed to take up to 4 1/2" dia. peicies.

the DR is probably a toy.

I might be able to locate an old chipper out my way. old 12 inch drum "chuck and duck" chippers can be found for under $3K. They eat 6 inch branches in flash. Well used of course, but not much to go wrong. May also know of a Vermeer 625 for sale, a 6 inch self feeder. I'm rather busy so dont know how much time i'd have to check.

Email me

roger

Chippers

I second the motion to look for an old "Chuck and Duck"; at least the engines on these tend to be easily repaired and parts available. The one I used had a 300 ci straight six Ford engine that would have been at home in an old F150. No hydraulics to worry about either like on the Vermeer 625 mentioned previously.
Please if you do buy a chipper, learn to use it safely-there are videos out there put out by ISA for example that show you how, or better yet seek out someone that knows these machines inside out. This is potentially a very dangerous piece of equipment-they do not call it "Chuck 'n' Duck" for nothing! Eye, ear, head and proper clothing are a must.

DR is not a toy, but....

Hey Guys,

I have the DR 18hp model. (it's manufactured by mackissic) It is a great little chipper for a small woodlot. It is not going to be very good for what you are describing. It will chip 4 1/2 inches, especially softwood and you can leave some branches on it. I use it to chip up the brush from the 30 odd cords of firewood I cut. It is a LOT slower than a small bandit or morbark. It likes to clog up on fir. For what it does it is great for the price. I was at a point where I didn't have the money or the time to feed a larger professional chipper, although that day will come.

I'd definitely go the used route right now, like rbtree suggested. You'll be much happier and have a lot more time to cut. Hope this helps.

What kind of chipper to buy

I used to run a full service tree company. I used a Vermeer 1250 which had a 80HP perkins, would chip 12" wood. I know the local Vermeer dealer always seem to have a few used drum chippers around$1200-1500. You might try some of the chipper dealers in your area. I sold my 1250 but picked up a Vermeer 1600 for $1000. just to use around my place. Once you own a chipper you will wonder how you did without one. Just my 2 cents worth.

chipper attachment

If you are doing ranching farming etc, then you probably have a tractor with 3 point and PTO. Have you looked at the attachments that hook to that and can chip some pretty good size stuff. I was looking at somebodys site , probably attached to the millers I think, and they had them available. Even Brand new, they were less than a self driven tow behind chipper. we are going to find one for the back of my dads kubota to do some clearing near us. when we are done, just disconnect and park it in the barn. Just a thought, JB

Latest posts

Back