What Saw Has The Most Potential H.P.?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is probably a question for the ARBORISTSITE "top" 3 saw builders, but anybody elses thoughts are welcomed. I was wondering which of the following saws has the most potential H.P. gain (from stock) after engine and muffler modifications?
Stihl 044...046....066
Husky 372...385...395
Jons 2171...2083...2095
I know some of the Husky's and Jons are very similar....just not sure if they would take to the mods. the same. Hopefully this is not to general of a question.

Thanks, Jeff

Based on what I've heard/read the 066 probably has the least potential gain (it is a hot saw in stock condition). I look forward to reading what the experts will say.

True, but the new 066's and 046's are single port muffler, so gains are to be had there. The 066 also has some tricked ignition timing. They were rated at 7.7 hp, now 7.0. The 395 comes in at 7.1.

The tuners seem to say Huskys, especially the new quad port designs, typically hop up more than Stihls.

I am sure Ken (Yoda) can answer this question much better than I...but yes the stock 066 has better figures than most saws...but all of this depends on what you want the saw to do..there really is not a limit on what one can do...you can build a woods saw...or a strong race saw with a pipe...or a very strong saw with pipe and removable head...or....well you get the idea...the only limitations truly are displacement

If we are talking stock to strong woods saw...my personal favs a are the Jonny 2171/husky 372..385..Jonny 2077(2083)...and of course my beloved 272..:D...and I really do like that 2149..I am going to build one for myself one of these days...

Sorry, should have been a little more specific. I guess what I really meant, was going from stock to a strong woods saw as Dennis mentioned.

Jeff

I just did a muffler mod for a pro on his late model 066. He came back grinning ear to ear! Said it compared to any dual outlet 066 he ever owned. No modified Huskys around here to compare it to, but it would be interesting.

Stihltech, just curious, where in western n.y. do you do your work and cut your wood?
I also live in western n.y. ....Rochester area to be exact. I've got a Husky 372 with a Ken Dunn "clone"muffler...doubt if it will keep up with with that 066.:eek:.... but it's an awesome saw!!!!

Jeff

Ah, yes, Obiwan. Your new avatar is excellent. It's about time. Where is that Yoda when you need him? I think I know what he will say based on previous conversations with him, but I'll leave the comment to him. How about 3120 vs. 088 or 090. I know wich of these comes out on top after mods.

Obi,
I got the Brasseler catalog and it looks like I may have to switch to a different right angle head to get bits that are the diameters you need. The quick change shank just doesn't have the multitude of options that the straight shank does. I'll call NE Handpiece tomoorow and get it sorted out.

Love and Kisses,
Walt

Back